Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #121

Howdy,
I was curious where you purchased your interior paneling from? I am ready to do mine and haven't found anything that I really like at any of the box stores.

Also curious what kind of caulking you used to install your windows with? I also bought my windows from Bontragers. I ended up getting the Kinro brand windows they had there which are the style that the glass goes all the way to the ends, and has no framing on the outside perimeter. They install the same as yours, just have a different appearance on the outside. I couldn't find any matching trim rings so I am ordering the correct ones from a supplier of Kinro. They sell an install kit which includes Butyl tape but I have heard when it rains the butyl will leave streaks down the outside? Curious what you used for caulk, also thinking about weather strip gasket?

Thanks,
Steve

superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #122

Paneling came from RV Parts Nation in Elkhart Ind, but they don't have much of a selection.
As for the windows, I used plain old silicone. The ring holds in it, I figured it only needed something to seal it. Its working so far.

RLPRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #123

Default 13 Months and Finished

After 13 1/2 months, I'm calling this build complete. We built the wood trim around the coach and cab opening out of hickory like the rest of the wood trim. The main box was put together with glue and wood biscuits and lots of clamps. It was then screwed to the coaches side steel. On the cab side a frame was screwed to the box. Whole thing is made so it can be taken apart incase work needs to be done on the rubber boot underneath. It makes a nice place to sit too. My wife made the curtain.
Sure there are other things I want to do but there will always be add-ons. I'll keep posting as we make changes.
Attached Thumbnails
20140913_120531.jpg   20141002_174402.jpg   20141002_174607.jpg   20140922_171642.jpg  
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #124

congrats on a job well done !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #125

Default great job

I think 13 1/2 months is getting it done fast. You did a great job and I know just how much head scratching goes into every part of the build. You and your helpers should be very proud.
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #126

Looks great. My truck does have a similar cutout/pass through. It does make a nice spot for riders to sit and chat when both front seats are occupied.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #127

I'm curious how much all that steel versus aluminum weighs? Did you consider aluminum?
cafspecdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #128

Default Weight, Time & Money

I thought about aluminum for a few seconds and that's about it. Everything has its pluses and minuses so you have to decide what's more important.
1) Aluminum costs more.
2) MIG welding steel is much easier and faster than TIG welding aluminum.
3) Since we don't have a shop tall enough to do the build inside, using our TIG welder outside was going to be an issue due to reach. That may not be an issue for you.
Since we would rather spend our time and money on the race cars, it was an easy choice for us.
A lot of weight could be saved on all the wood we used.
1) We installed real house cabinets which have backs, thicker sides and tops/bottoms than standard RV cabinets. Why? We live near the Kraftmaid outlet store and pick them up for $40 and under. And we put in lots of them. Saved a lot of time over building our own or money buying RV units. Downside is hundreds of pounds extra weight.
2) Real wood trim is nice to look at but weighs a lot(and took a lot of time).
3) Roof is 3/4 plywood so I can walk on it with no worries. Could be made out of 1/4" if you watched your steps after all, how often are you ever going to be up there?
4) I used wood 2x4's to build the walls, dinette and bed because they are cheap and easy. There are lighter ways of doing that.

Now if you have the time and the money and cut back on the wood and used aluminum, than I got to think you could easily cut the weight by over a ton. Our Freightliner has the "semi" engine in it, not the standard box truck engine. Horsepower to pull the weight is not an issue. I pay for that by getting poorer fuel mileage. But this thing will go up Fancy Gap Mountain in Virginia without shifting at 65 mph. For those that haven't had the pleasure of traveling up I-77 in a truck, its a 6 mile climb at a grade of around 4%. Not for the faint of heart but one hell of a view. I once drove our old turbo 4 cylinder Detroit Diesel up it pulling a 48' trailer. Foot to the floor for 17 minutes with the Detroit screaming at 2500 rpm. A little under 30 mph. Glad I had an electric fan on it to keep it cool enough to make it. We laugh about it now but my nerves don't need that crap anymore! Give me horsepower, I'll pay the fuel bill!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLPRACING View Post
....But this thing will go up Fancy Gap Mountain in Virginia without shifting at 65 mph. For those that haven't had the pleasure of traveling up I-77 in a truck, its a 6 mile climb at a grade of around 4%. Not for the faint of heart but one hell of a view. I once drove our old turbo 4 cylinder Detroit Diesel up it pulling a 48' trailer. Foot to the floor for 17 minutes with the Detroit screaming at 2500 rpm. A little under 30 mph. Glad I had an electric fan on it to keep it cool enough to make it. We laugh about it now but my nerves don't need that crap anymore! Give me horsepower, I'll pay the fuel bill!
hey i know fancy gap...i wasn't pulling any loads or length like you are RLP but we blazed up that thing...passing cars even.

we run that going back and forth to parents (northern shenandoah valley) and blacksburg (virginia tech)....stuff like that & the hills around chattanooga / christinsburg are why we own a truck conversion....hp/torque, transmission & chassis built for it !

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote