Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Coach In The Making (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f103/)
-   -   Freightliner M2 106 Chassis - Part 2 (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f103/freightliner-m2-106-chassis-part-2-a-4947/)

Warpath 01-05-2004 01:38 PM

One of the limiting factors for the 106 is the 300 hp limit due to radiator size. That seemed like a lame excuse, and I figured that something could be done to wick up the 3125 Cat motor to 330 hp. This is the same HP rating that half of the deisel pusher RV's have hitch to the Allison 6 speed autmatic trannie.

So I found this last night

https://www.truckconversion.net/photo...ta/503/2m2.jpg

2003 FREIGHTLINER BUSINESS CLASS M2, Caterpillar 330 HP, Auto, 10' , Air Ride Suspension, 19 Tires, All Aluminum Wheels, Single Axle.
-------------------------------

If you look at the grill it looks like they added a peice that has additional openings to the grill. I also really like the front bumper.

Anyway, I think a 26 or 28 conversion with the motor at 330 hp & all automatic would be the ticket on the M2.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Doug 01-05-2004 07:51 PM

It may be a real problem, however. I had a first generation Mack CH on which the radiator ended up being too small. We had a lot of trouble as a result - the aftercooler blew twice, damned thing ran hot a LOT, etc. I would not dismiss this issue out of hand.
The HP difference is not the thing you need anyway - it's the torque that keeps things rolling. 300 HP with 1200 Ft-Lbs would be just about right for what you're doing, although I would at least go with the autoshift. Clutches are a LOT tougher than torque converters, and more efficient too. 6 gears is also probably limiting, as you can end up with too much of an RPM drop on the shifts. I'd have to get some really detailed information on that before I felt comfortable.

Warpath 01-08-2004 04:28 PM

I just got the lastest copy of Motorhome magazine and on the last page is a picture of Dynamax's version of their Grand Sport on the M2 and it is ugly! There is just something about it that looks mis-proportioned, I never have liked their aero look (just my personal opinion) and on the M2 it seems to enhance the odd look.

OLDphoneman 01-08-2004 07:52 PM

For those looking to crank-up the 3126 -- Here's a link to view .....

https://escapees.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a...61&m=125603794

Dave

DrFun 01-12-2004 06:24 PM

The title of this topic is "Freightliner M2 106..." It seems that many (most?) of the new RV conversions use some type of Freightliner chassis. What makes the Freightliner preferable? Why not use Volvo, International, Kenworth, or others?

Just wondering why Freightliner is the chassis of choice for so many conversions.

Regards,
Alan

Warpath 01-13-2004 11:00 AM

From what I understand FL is very flexible with custom options (ie: stretched frames, custom cab alterations, ect..)

Another issue with a conversion is the loss of living space due to the engine out front design. Everyone is trying to get the maxium space in a 40-45' package and if your running a 12' plus cab length your loosing alot of living space. Many of the popular Kdubs, Petes, and even the Classic FL are stretched out. Not a good choice for a conversion. These trucks also make for very looonnnggg wheel base's and a cab height that restricts the over the cab bunk to storage.

Bill

DrFun 01-14-2004 06:13 PM

Hmmm... I understand your comments but it looks like the Kenworth T300, the Volvo VNL 300, and the International 4400 all have a cab length of about 106 (same as the FL M2). They also seem to have similar power ratings. Yet, I don't see these models used in RV conversions. Perhaps it's the customization issues that you referred to that give FL the advatage.

Any idea where detailed cab dimensions for various trucks are available?

Regards,
Alan

Dano959 01-14-2004 06:17 PM

Another reason is that the FL are cheaper, so the conversion companycan sell for less or make more profit with FL over the other chassis.

KAYE RIVERCITY 07-15-2004 09:07 PM

....Don E form TEXAS....I stole your idea for lifting rings-though welded in a different spot for my hauler bed.....thanks for the idea-I appreciate the pix for this very important part....cuz lifting my bed/hitch off would be a bitch without lifting rings...2300# 8 one inch bolts -class 8 hold it on....[grunt].....geof

....Don E form TEXAS....I stole your idea for lifting rings-though welded in a different spot for my hauler bed.....thanks for the idea-I appreciate the pix for this very important part....cuz lifting my bed/hitch off would be a bitch without lifting rings...2300# 8 one inch bolts -class 8 hold it on....[grunt].....geof