Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-14-2002, 10:46 AM   #1

Since this truck will be a motorhome conversion eventually, I will post this here. Complete details from day one of ownership are here --> Photo gallery

I just got the truck back after 3 weeks at the FL dealer. New front brakes, new ac compressor, a few u-joints, rear wheel seals, relocated the exhaust from stack to under chassis, new radiator, and a few other little items.

I installed a Brocks steer axle air ride, chrome bug shield & chrome front bumper inserts. Also added fender mounted blind spot mirrors.

I love this truck! After a adjustment on the Brocks it rides like a dream, more power than I could ever need. I can't wait to get the box going. The interior came out better than I could have imaged. I spent the weekend rubbing out the paint on the front hood and fenders which came out like glass. I have a few more weekends and I will have the rest of the paint rubbed out and waxed.

Here are updated photos.

1995 FL FLD120, M11, custom interior.

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 05:21 PM   #2

I wish I had the time to try a conversion like this. This is going to be an awesome site. Hope you don't mind a Dodge owner lurking in the shadows soaking up info.
Good luck with the site and truck.

2002 Dodge 3500 Quadcab Dually with Cummins Diesel
2003 Crossroads 3530BHS 5th Wheel Bunkhouse and Reese 20K Hitch
Nor'Easters

Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:51 PM   #3

Time! Who has any time! I know what ya mean.

I will be putting alot of information in here on the limitless possiblities with motorhome conversions. How about a conversion for about $65,000 !!! and potentially less. And this would be with the motorhome box and interior done by a conversion company.

After labor day I should have details on my plans to have the chassis stretched and the box completed.

Old 08-26-2002, 03:11 AM   #4

Bill this statement is why you have many of folks like "Crossroads" and I sitting on the sidelines "Lurking". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

We both talked a lot (Crossroads and I) about MDTs at the rally in Branson. We both would like to move up to larger trucks some day. But unlike many our trucks are also our "Daily drivers" right now...

But Cathy is making noises of maybe a diesel pusher next [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ... Maybe the streached Class 8 would satisfy both of us... Who knows... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
W5IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:54 AM   #5

Don -

It wasn't long after I had my first motorhome, that I wanted a pusher. Initially my love for diesels was my biggest draw to them. But then I started seeing items that I really did not like about pushers. After my last motorhome, I will not own another without a driver's door and most pushers don't have them. Inevitably I pickup a bit of road tar or what ever and it get tracked through the whole motorhome to the driver's seat. Most pusher interiors are just way to fancy for me, I am more the practical type and like a usable interior. Conversion you can have it exactly the way you want it. There are many other deciding factors, but I must say I love the look of the Truck Motorhomes as well.

Bill

Old 08-26-2002, 11:51 AM   #6

Great looking rig you have Warpath. I'll be following your progress. I thught of doing your type of conversion myself, but decided it was too big a project for me. I also considered taking a travel trailer, removing the axles and setting it on the frame rails of a class 8 truck.

This is a project I am still considering. The biggest problem would be mating the back of the cab or sleeper to the front of the trailer. I would want trailer access from the cab.

BTW, In 1996 I ordered a new extended cab all air ride FL60. Let's just say I was very unhappy with this truck. Since then, I have owned and converted 4 class 8 Volvos (very minor conversions compared to your project) I sold 3 of them to other Rvers.

I used all these trucks as my daily driver. I love driving a class 8 truck. I registered all
my Volvos as motorhomes. No CDL is required to drive them and no stopping at weigh stations when towing my travel trailer or bobtail.

The 1999 Volvo motorhome I am now driving is for sale in the classified section of this website
under "motorhome" Those interested in calss 8s
might want to check it out. There are 17 large pictures on my private party webpage.

onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:39 PM   #7

At this time I can't afford your truck. Otherwise I would buy it. We just leased a 2002 Dodge Cummins dually for 4 years. I really love this truck, but yours is more what Don and I spoke of. I also need seating for 4 as my sons are only 11 and 13. Maybe in four years i'll be ready. Until then I will do my research and dream of a big rig. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

2002 Dodge 3500 Quadcab Dually with Cummins Diesel
2003 Crossroads 3530BHS 5th Wheel Bunkhouse and Reese 20K Hitch
Nor'Easters
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:33 PM   #8

Thanks Crossroads,

I appreciate your comments and understand your situation. FYI, There is a harness that attaches just like seatbelt attachments across the bed in the sleeper which will keep even a sleeping person on the bed in any kind of accident. Some OTR truckers travel with their families on board full time.

I don't really know what the law is concerning a Class 8 with regard to seatbelts. Since all my Volvos are registered as motorhomes, the
class 8 law probably doesn't apply anyway. For that matter, I don't know what the seatbelt law is for motorhomes if there are more than two aboard.

I too owned a Dodge Cummins Diesel. I really liked that Dodge. It was a great truck, but there's just nothing like driving a class 8. I have owned four Volvos. They have all been my daily driver as well as tow vehicle. I plan on drivng a Class 8 as long as I am able.

onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:44 PM   #9

Hey,

I travel fulltime with a band. We are looking for a truck conversion similar to bus layout that has bunks and a lounge. I am looking for something between $75- 100,000. Can anyone help?
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:08 AM   #10

.....Matt: there was a band at RiverBend Music Center here near Cincinnati they had 4 Prevost Buses at $375,000 each....they were used and refurbished at a cost of almost $100,000 each....best I can do but I'll keeep looking around....most bands are leasing or renting for specific tours....I spent an hour with the drivers is the Holiday Inn at Eastgate where some the RiverBend Bands stay...geof