Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #21

A couple of years ago I went to a RV show where they had several high end diesel pushers on display.One of the salesmen just had to show me how smooth and quiet the diesel genset was on this coach.He opened the panel on the front of the coach,pulled the genset out with one hand to demonstrate how easy it was to maintain,also how quiet and smooth it was.He placed a nickel on it's edge on top of the running unit and it stayed there.The unit was a 7500 watt diesel Onan which is about the same weight as my unit.I guess my point is somebody makes a slide that will do what I want to do.I getting a little to old to drag out the old come-a-long and pull a motor.Besides,if I mention come-a-long to the wife she thinks we're going somewhere!
Michael

mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #22

...do as you want it is your time and money...if it is an onan you might get a brake....then again.....anyway do as you wish. I have some experience with slides and heavy loads....they fall in disrepair very soon hanging under a conversion.....i moved my generator to the back of the tractor up on the deck where it gets to run cooler and thus longer.....water and onans don't get along at all....so i never mount then where there is any possibility of getting wet....your experience might vary and it is certainly your money and time.......geofkaye and the rivercity girlz.....

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #23

mmmc101, your truck looks kind of short. what is your floor plan. any living space in trailer? what type racing are you doing?
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #24

Volvoman,wheelbase is 286". 12' living space is all the room I had without lengthing the frame.I wanted to keep the total length with trailer under 65'.(shop is 70'long) There will be two 6' slideouts on the box.
Race sprint cars when time and money allows.
MMM
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #25

here is a link to a generator slide unit
[URL=[URL=http://www.hwhcorp.com/generator3.html]
Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #26

Thanks for the link ed. That generator slide is the type I want to install,however that slide is designed to go in the front of a diesel pusher or the bottom of a basement model coach where the generator is mounted length wise.The distance from my frame rail to the outside of my box is only 33". I contacted that company to inquire if they made a slide that would fit my application.They were not very helpful.The answer I got for almost every question was have your" Engineering Dept" send us your design drawings.I think I will just build my on.
MMM
Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #27

Most of the Onan units I've seen on trucks are mounted next to the frame rails. Not slide outs. It seems like they are fine for most general maintenance stuff that way. I changed my oil and coolant without any problems on mine. Maybe they have to mount them on tracks when they stick them in front since there isn't enough room on the sides to get to things? It sure looks like it wouldn't be that hard to drop the whole thing down to the ground on mine either. If a person had to leave it somewhere for work or something.