Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-09-2005, 05:20 AM   #1

This truck started as an International Navistar and is powered by a Cummins M11 that is currently rated at 375 hp. The truck is set up with a Spicer 9 speed transmission that we would very much like to convert to some type of auto-shift.

We have been drag racing as a hobby for the past 16 years and it seems each year we accumulate more stuff, and need more room. I felt that the dually and 48' trailer loaded was just a little on the unsafe side so we decided to begin this project.

We will be posting pictures of our changes and additions here and hope that we can get sound and trustworthy responses from the many people that visit this site. Everyone here has been very polite and answered all of my questions promptly thus far.

Keep an eye on this page as we will be updating pictures of our toter regularly. I am a granite distributor and will be doing the complete shower surround in all granite as well as possibly the countertops as well. The truck has hardwood floors, and most of the entertainment center and other cabinets are birch and painted with the advertised paint for kid's rooms. (It supposedly wipes down easier) We chose to paint and use mostly white as it makes the truck look a little roomier inside.

The Toterhome includes or will include the following options when completed in the next month.
20" Stereo Television and small fold down flat screen in sleeping berth
Complete Bose Stereo and Surround System
DVD / VCR
Complete Dell Computer Station with the entire options package including DVD burner
Double recliner LazyBoy sofa with slide out sleeping area underneath
Refrigerator / Freezer
Microwave and Slide out outdoor grilling station
Step tub shower pan with full granite surround with Lexan entry door
Fluorescent Overhead lighting
SS sink
100 gallon fresh water tank
100 gallon gray water tank
No Black Tank Using a portable marine unit
(I have heard many horror stories about dumping black tanks and most tracks have restroom facilities anyway)

We are just about finished with our first conversion. All of the plumbing is done with the exception of installing the holding tanks. The shower has been installed and I am waiting on the granite to get here so that we can complete that area of the truck.

This is not the nicest conversion out there but we feel that what we have in the truck and Wildside stacker trailer we couldn't have done any better for the same money. It is perfect for the sportsman racer like myself and is nice to have at the races. We can carry our race car and a golf cart in the loft as well as a hotel car downstairs and a 4 wheeler up front so it is a great setup for racing. I hope that you guys enjoy the pictures and thanks for the great website.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Hancock Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #2

.....get rid of those aluminum edges or everyone is going to have bruises on their back-sides-legs and their butt and if one falls-cuts and real contusions......round them off or carpet w/padding to prevent injuries....other than that a 9 speed isn't that hard to shift and you can skip gears unloaded....you are going to bo OK on this if engine is good.......keep us posted.....geofkaye

KAYE RIVERCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
.....get rid of those aluminum edges or everyone is going to have bruises on their back-sides-legs and their butt and if one falls-cuts and real contusions......round them off or carpet w/padding to prevent injuries...........keep us posted.....geofkaye
Where are you talking about the edges? I am very open to suggestions, and just want a nice hauler that is very user friendly. Thanks, Marshall
4.91 / 8.00

Real Outlaw drag racers refuse to use wheelie bars

Some just say we are plain CRAZY!

Old 09-11-2005, 09:23 AM   #4

Hancock Racing
welcome!
thats a good looking toter
looks like the body is built very strong with all comercial van body parts and should give you years of trouble free service
the front step tanks on internationals are not very big but you gain lots of under side storage

all that rig needs is a set of shiny aluminum rims

i like that big tent ...i wish we could do that on our trailer but where we usualy camp (desert/sand dunes) we have some very strong wind sometimes and i fear that it will get ripped off
keep us posted on the upgrades....
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:47 PM   #5

....Marshall...the interior aluminum extrusions in the interior photos show a lot of square edges and these cause brusing for your passengers -same on boats when boat interiors are done they never use aluminum edges....if there is another way to do something usually they roll the edge and fasten it or roll the edge with a piece of aluminum inside the edge and screw it into place.....cabinets, if particle board, should be braced better[use plywood gussets] or they loosed up and drop off the wall....now that is exciting!....geofkaye
Old 09-12-2005, 03:56 AM   #6

Geofkaye,

I honestly have a crew member and very good friend that is the owner his own custom woodworking, and furniture business. The truck is at his shop right now. We are having the complete interior done in mostly with Birch plywood that will be painted with that new paint that they advertise for kids rooms that is supposed to wipe off fairly easily.

All of the particle board cabinets will be either replaced or definitely strengthened. I wish that I had a way to post the diagram of how the truck will look when finished, but I guess that I will have to wait.

I am a marble and granite distributor, and am also considering doing some nice tiling in the shower area. All overhead cabinets will be being replaced, and the only laminate cabinet that may remain is the one with the sink in it, and it will be sandwiched in between the new entertainment center and computer station on one side, and one of the restroom walls on the other. The pictures I have posted are basically my starting point and everything done from now will only be an improvement.

I appreciate the tip on the aluminum pieces inside. I will have to inspect that more closely. I have never actually paid that much attention to it. I have only used it to go racing a couple of times thus far however.

Does anyone know where to get either 22.5" Simulators, or a nice price on a set of polished wheels? All that I have priced have been outrageously expensive.

I would like to do the wheels, and front bumper, as well as possibly chrome fuel tanks on the truck, but I am doing it all a little at a time as funding allows.

I must admit that it will be nice to have a truck designed to pull a trailer, and not killing my Dually (which I sold to get this truck.

Spooner,

The awnining is made by Holiday Canopies, and honestly this particular type has the legs that come down from the main frame structure. We have made concrete footers the size of 6" pipe, and it also has provisions for a tie down on the awning in each place that there is a leg. It should hold up fairly well in the wind.
4.91 / 8.00

Old 09-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
a 9 speed isn't that hard to shift and you can skip gears unloaded....you are going to bo OK on this if engine is good.......keep us posted.....geofkaye
The engine and trans were the main thing we checked out before buying the truck. We also have a Cummins Master Tech. that helps our racing team, so that makes the upkeep and trouble shooting to a minimum. We got it at a song as it needed an ECM when I purchased it. That was the only problem, and after fixing it, we have no more codes, and everything looks great with both the engine and transmission. I would however prefer some type of Autoshift, or Automatic transmission. This really does not seem like an option right now though.

Thanks
4.91 / 8.00

Old 09-12-2005, 04:18 AM   #8

We also have more pics of our truck and trailer as well as our race car buildup on our website if anyone is intereted. Please feel free to sign our guestbook.

Hancock Racing Website
4.91 / 8.00

Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Hancock Racing:
We also have more pics of our truck and trailer as well as our race car buildup on our website if anyone is intereted. Please feel free to sign our guestbook.

Hancock Racing Website
i have to check that out in the evening
one word of caution; watch your front axle weight. you have a long wb and the rear axle is all the way in the back; when you remodel try to move all the heavy stuff to the back
i did the mistake on our old international; i replaced the fuel tanks with 2x 100 gallon tanks but mounted them too close to the front (under the sleeper would have been a better spot )
Old 09-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Hancock Racing:

Does anyone know where to get either 22.5" Simulators, or a nice price on a set of polished wheels?
i have some leftovers (we removed one axle and we will change to 24.5" rims anyway)
they are "hub pilot" style with the freightliner sawblade design (4 outside and 4 inside) and i have also two fronts with the standard round hole design. you could also polish two of the FL rears on the other side and run them on the front (all are straight but need a polish). im just in the process of posting them on ebay.....
was thinking to ask $75 each
let me know if that would work for you

btw you can see them (still mounted on the Pete) on our website; http://sandcentral.net/trucks/
Old 09-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #11

.....sounds like you got your ducks in a row-people wise....keep us posted-everyone here is really interested in new ideas and suggestions.....there is a lot of discussion about International MTD an HDTV's ....even though we have the Volvo disease....there is still a lot of discussion/ interest in International trucks-usually haveing to do with the cost factor and driver convenience.....geofkaye
Old 09-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by spooner:

i have some leftovers (we removed one axle and we will change to 24.5" rims anyway)
they are "hub pilot" style with the freightliner sawblade design (4 outside and 4 inside) and i have also two fronts with the standard round hole design. you could also polish two of the FL rears on the other side and run them on the front (all are straight but need a polish). $75 each
let me know if that would work for you

btw you can see them (still mounted on the Pete) on our website;

http://sandcentral.net/trucks/
I don't mean to sound dumb here, but will these wheels work on my International? What do you think that it would cost to get them to me in GA. 31709

I may very possibly be interested in them. I think the look of our truck would be excellent with a nice set of polished wheels, and would prefer real wheels instead of simulators any time.

4.91 / 8.00