Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-28-2005, 03:08 PM   #1

here's the link

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...545396238&rd=1

2. 1994 Peterbuilt with 26' van body on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

the little child seems to be having fun running around in the photos. he's in the cockpit, in the shower, on the bed...

3. 1998 45' Toy Hauler.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...545993879&rd=1

4. 1981 Peterbuilt with a stubby home attached.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...545533973&rd=1

Comments on any of the rigs?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #2

Quote:
......the little child seems to be having fun running around in the photos. he's in the cockpit, in the shower, on the bed...
Waddayamean, running around? This kid is doing a SERIOUS job of demo'ing the rig! I guess they grow up a little quicker in Arizona....

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #3

That's a pretty Kdub, but I think it is going to be a toughy to sell with 4 bunks in the back instead of a queen bed. Also that manual tranny will be a deal breaker for most looking at a high end rig like that.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by warpath:
That's a pretty Kdub, but I think it is going to be a toughy to sell with 4 bunks in the back instead of a queen bed. Also that manual tranny will be a deal breaker for most looking at a high end rig like that.
Why would they build a new rig with a manual tranny instead of an automatic tranny?

Is it because a manual gets you more power to the wheels, less wasted energy?

I've heard that an automatic transmission looses about 20-25% of the power compared to a manual. Does this sound correct?

The bunks would be great if you traveled with kids or people you didn't want to sleep side by side with but maybe a poor choice for a husband wife team.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #5

Automatic over manual any day. For ease of anyone can drive. I have driven trucks for years, but I enjoy not having to worry bout shifting on Vacation and my wife can drive this easily. I would say Auto is idiot proof. That's a lot of coin for that unit....
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #6

I went and looked at the dealer site; they say "will covert to automatic". I don't know that any of the roadranger transmissions can be easily converted, so I am assuming that they mean remove and replace, which would be spendy.

Auto vs. Manual: It depends on the transmission and needs. Unless one is in town a lot, running a lot of backroads, or has a physical disability, shifting is a small concern - once up to road speed, anything more than a splitter move is unlikely. For most purposes, the Autoshift (gotta have a clutch, sorry) Fuller 10 speeds are ample. Sadly, the wide ratio transmissions (I think it is the "C" series) are only rated to 1650 foot pounds, which makes little sense to me. (Likwise the Lightning series, the only manual 10 speed which makes sense IMHO.) I would expect a higher torque motor would be more capable of having the wider ratio spreads. (Oddly enough, if I recall correctly, the 10 speed wide ratio transmission has a wider overall spread than the 18!) One of my concerns is that I want to be able to have long gears for some of the open roads of the west (I live in Washington), without having it forced to cruise in 9th when in places with lower limits. Example: when I recently had to go the People's Republic of Illinois, I was reminded that the RV limit is 55. If the truck is geared for the 70+ cruise of the far west, 55 is almost certainly a 9th gear proposition. Answer: 13 speed, which can be driven like a 9, and probably have more than a few gears skipped, too. None are made with autoshift, which mandates an 18, which is a ton of $$, and borders on stupid when not in a heavy hauler operation.

In addition, I suspect that when moving in a tight spot in a rig this size, (extra low) lower gearing for reverse and 1st would be a darned valuable thing. The only transmission which offers that as a possibility is from Mack, a manual. I am in fact considering a Mack for the foundation, using a Vision daycab, 355/380 powerplant, and the 13 speed. This would provide ample power (1560 foot pounds, the real issue, not HP), plenty of speed and flexibility, and among the better fuel usage levels. Mack can also build an AWD version if I think it is worth the hassle. (The only other manufacturer I would seriously look at is Western Star, using their aerodynamic tractor; I think it is the 4900. They too can make an AWD in the factory and set up everything so the tractor goes right to the maker ready to go. The torque rating of the automatics is an issue here, as I would want a C15, which can be ordered or turned up pretty far.)

FWIW, take a look at this rig - they have set it up with additional solar panels, etc, so it can be more flexible without a generator or much use of propane. I have determined to go without propane, using only diesel (generator) and electric. I can use regular household appliances, which should perform better and cheaper. I am also looking at serious levels of solar panel and storage battery capacity (check out "earthroamer.com"), and lots of water capacity. It will either be a tandem or have a tag axle so that I can make the maximum use of the inherent ability to carry lots of weight safely and easily.

But I'm a little more rough edged than some. :-)
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #7

....at 60 years old....I still love to shift...it's a control issue to me....it's just something about shifting a tractor and haveing the cab lurch to the right- I just love.....It's a power thing I guess. something about the take off up a steep hill in first......when My knees go it might be a another story and I get to do an new cab.....and it will be an auto probably.....but for now I like the look/sound of cab lurch and a cloud of black smoke as the Cummins starts makeing the power to move the load......geofkaye
Old 05-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #8

Hey Doug,
Man, you weren't lyin' about appliance prices. Just doing a casual (make that REAL casual) stroll thru the local Home Depot told me that the smaller ( like suitable for RV use) refrigerators could be had for a FRACTION of the price of the typical RV AC-DC-gas unit. Plus it wouldn't take much battery (thru an inverter) to keep one running until you're in camp where you then either plug in or run the generator. Besides, if running it on the road the truck alternator will keep the battery(ies) charged anyway. Truly a win-win situation if you ask me. All the heavier-draw appliances (microwave/convection oven, cooktop, A/C, electric water heater, toe-kick heater(s), etc.) can wait till either plug-in or genset startup. If it can't be run on Diesel or electric, I don't want it in my RV. Who needs propane, anyway?
Gary
Old 05-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #9

......'xackly....an hour before I am stopping for the nite I turn on the generator and the hot water heater -electric heat or A/c and the trailer is ready for camping when I arrive at where-ever. Yes, it takes some planning but I'm not that far gone yet! If I camp at a place where I hook up to water and electric-so be it-If not I'm still ready to spend the nite anyway-without the generator running all nite...... and have hot water for a shower in the A.M when I can run the generator.......geofkaye
Old 05-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #10

An' besides that, give me a 9- or 10-speed manual anytime. I'm not TOTALLY shiftless..........yet! The opinions of others may differ, however, as everyone has their druthers. I guess that's why this is called a forum.......
Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by BravestDog:2. 1994 Peterbuilt with 26' van body on ebay.
It doesn't look like the tractor was stretched at all for this conversion with a lot of van overhanging the rear. I assume those rearmost tanks are the stainless water and septic.

Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote