Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #1

Comments?

It's built as a custom mobile producers truck. Looks like a 4 bunk sleeper with an empty rear room. Says he paid $187k for it, has never used it and is taking serious offers.

How much would you offer him and how would you have the back room converted?

See any potential business here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Freightliner-45-NEW...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then he bought another one that is lead lined.

http://jdmmobile.com/studio.html

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:00 AM   #2

For the family those bunks would be great. I would think if he is that hard for cash 150,000 may nudge him along

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #3

Actually, he is having another Show Hauler built, so the one at his website must have been the very first attempt. Not sure what was wrong with this one that he is selling.

I saw some info on this guy at racingjunk.com about a month ago.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #4

...reminds me of a submarine.....and I don't want to remember those days underwater.....I'd wake up holding me breath some nites and whack my head on the birth above....I'll pass....just like the top bunk on a Showhauler.....Whack!....and course there is NO bump and grind at 16" from the ceiling with the women I know!.....geofkaye
Old 12-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #5

...first nite I saw Bravest's pix of a sub "Conversion" idea I had a nitemare.....geofkaye
Old 12-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #6

Warpath is right, the same truck is/was on racingjunk.com. I think it was even one about 3,4 months ago as well.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #7

.......have you noticed that the more bunk space the more "friends" you got to go campin' with......geofkaye
Old 03-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #8

To all those inquiring about this coach. I sold this coach due to the dishonest owner of the retailer involved in the custom build out. The name of the company is Hickory Enclosed Trailer. Her name is Angie and my best advice is to steer clear. I built my second unit in house and it is very successful.
I had a horrific experience with Show Hauler (Lonnie) and Hickory Enclosed Trailers. I got way too many lies and lost a big chunk of money.

The business of ethics and honesty was not a part of either outfits I dealt with.

As for a coach, I was using it for another purpose, but I would not spend the money on a conversion from Show Hauler. It is toilet paper and water on a very beat up chasis.
WatchOutForCrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #9

O.K., I get that the experience was not good for you, but what were the issues?

Was it that they did not understand your concept, didn't excute correctly, took longer than expected?

I know I have seen Hickory use older trucks for their conversions, which saves money, and I would assume for many puts a conversion into their price range. But what was the issue with your used truck?

Any detailed info is only going to help members and vistors when it is their time to purchase a conversion.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #10

The experience is about trust. If you have a breach of trust with the business end, then who knows what the manufacturing will end up like.
Don't let the business ruin your product. This coach had many designs that were not typical for the standard market for "personal use." I needed the unit to be solid and be made to outlast the truck's chasis. The walls were built by wood framing, which is not an ideal design. The floor had no solid insulation, sound absorbtion design. These units are slammed together and possibly good for recreation, but I would be suspectful of that.
I made a verbal commitment to purchase this unit and then they jammed me for deposit and before I could get to the factory to "inspect" designs and quality, I was cut off and tossed to from Show Hauler to Hickory Enclosed. All this being said, I began to wonder about the quality and backed out of the deal. They kept my deposit of $48,200.00 and asked me to sell the unit. I did and I still did not get the deposit.
Do I need to say more? Customers should steer clear of these type manufactures. This is borderline scam to me.
The quality I know is not up to par, because I referred another business to copy what I had done and they are full of regret for going with a conversion.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #11

Sorry to hear of your woes, but your very vague in what happened in the process. Showhauler makes no hidden agenda of what hey build their units with. Also by looking at your website and what you do and what you have going on inside your Beluga, a standard conversion company was probably not the way to go. You need a company that could lead line and do all the soundproofing you require. Seems to me shame on you for giving a deposit if your weren't fully confidant in their ability to build a truck to your specifications, no matter how much pressure I get to give a deposit, I always hold back unitl comfortable.. Live and Learn. Also I would reccomend hiring a good attorney and get your money back
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #12

........I learned years ago to never do business with _anyone_ in the entertainment business....."sku me once it is your fault-sku me twice it is mine"....and it was my fault! I let it happen twice. The guy WAS a close family member.....till he bent me over BIG TIME!....now he lives in Switzerland where I can't get my hands on him!.....just waiting for him to come back here where I can see him within 400 meters.... ......geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #13

Hey Jimmy,
Guess who. This is Angie. If you are going to post something why not tell the truth. Just like your member name you are posting a bunch of crap!!!!
You special ordered this unit, it was built to your specs. How do you know it is built out of wood, you never even made the atempt to see the unit. Go to Showhaulers web site and look, they are one of the few companys that built their coaches with a steel cage construction. As for the facts most of your deposit was refunded,after our lawyer advised us not to refund a dime. No one in any business will build a unit like you requested with out a deposit, you need to look up the meaning for truth and deposit.
jeff pittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #14

......ANGIE'S REPLY DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A FEMALE!......buyer be aware what you are getting....if you don't check every phase you are going to have most manufactures shortcut somewhere....such is greed and speed.......with the market dropping fast and a lot of RV Manufacturers going under or searching for new money you have to inspect yourself-never rely on the company.......geofkaye
Old 05-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #15

Hey Jeff-or Angie, Lonnie.. This is my advice. Get rid of Angie. If there had been no Angie, there would have never been an issue. If not returning almost $19,000 is ALMOST all MY deposit, then I would like to see what other poor folks you have sucked to the table. Lonnie was not bad at all to deal with. You are correct he does have a steel frame. I am long past that truck. However, (1) he wasn't up front about shifting me over to some Angie who was clueless after I placed an order with Lonnie at Show Hauler. I expected to do business with Show Hauler. I got a bit squirmy.
People..This is simple. It takes no lawyers, no court, nothing but common sense to figure out these people are trying hard to make a buck. We all do. A fair buck is what this should be about. I make a verbal promise over a dozen times to sale this unit since I WAS NOT TAKING it. NOT THAT IT WAS A BAD UNIT. I WAS JUST NOT TAKING IT. I had gone into a place where it could not make put my mind at ease. Also, how the deposit was collected with NO PAPERWORK SIGNED was a bit awkward. However, they (ANGIE <--That means YOU) made some unethical moves and you must sleep on this for the rest of your life. I marketed and sold a unit and kept my end of the deal and you will never have another customer like me. However, YOU KEPT $28,000 of my money. I knew very little about this unit and did this for YOU my friend. All this with NOT ONE WORD OF COMMUNICATION! If I were to have sued you, you would have wasted my time and more money. Instead, I will blog, blast, and let the general public know your business methods are EXTREMELY SHADY! That is TRUTH!
People I sent to have the truck shown to said you made no effort to show it them. "You were off racin." Sounds fancy. I didn't know you could drive that rig I would pay $28,000 for and go racing.
You had to show a truck on a Sunday and this took you over the edge. You don't want to get in public war or your business model. Lonnie made the biggest mistake involving you in his business. A LOT WENT WRONG! You might want to invest in documents to communicate as your attorney told me he has suggested.
I would still go somewhere else buyers. Reason number one? I have never had such a communication break down happen so fast and out of control. I felt like I was scammed. In the end... I WAS.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #16

....WATCHOUTFORCRAP: If you feel were scammed better go over to Escapees and any other RV site and alert anyone that can read what happened to you so this situation doesn't go any further. With the down turn in business, there is a lot pressure to keep the doors open by using less than honorable tricks to move the mdse.....Buyer be Aware of what is happening and if you order a custom coach or any custom built unite make sure you are there to watch it being built!.....otherwise you can be bent over big time....geofkaye