Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...item=4559571643&rd=1

I have a couple of questions re this rig.

With a 12 speed automatic transmission, does it shift every 5mph to 60 or so?

Is 12 speeds a good match?

If it's 40.5 feet, what is the max length of trailer you can pull or overall combined length?

How much do you think the GVWR and GCWR is?

How much trailer weight can it tow?

The slideout with the couch, diner and interior looks great.

Don't like the barrel chair next to the tv cabinet. Do you think it reclines and has a footrest?

Would prefer something with a better view for the passenger instead of having the cabinet blocking the forward view. Like another diner...?

How much would you offer for the machine? What do you think it's worth, or cost new?

Your comments?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #2

....not enough info to bid and too far away to go and see it up close and personal...I'd have to pass....geofkaye

Old 07-06-2005, 05:17 AM   #3

The easy and proper thing to do is to send your questions to the seller through e-bay of coarse ...but ...
1. The 12 speed works nicely.. yes it does shift frequently but all is automatic but overrideable and does skip shift per preference of computer or driver. Note that it is a air shifted,computer controlled, manual transmission.
2. length depends on your state law.. check your motor vehicle department for laws..
3. With single rear axle I would have to say the gvw is probably 32,000 depending on the front axle wt. rating I think most of Haulmark units use 14,500 axles thugh making it a 34,500.
4. 40,000# is normal for them..
5. personal preference

July 6, 2005 print this page

Low Retail Average Retail
Base Price $93,430 $112,570
TOTAL PRICE $93,430 $112,570

7. Needless to say I did look at this unit and passed... If it was local I would have gone to look at it and maybe made an offer but not in the range they think it will go for... the resale on the Haulmarks has kept me away from that brand even though they are fine looking coachs..The pictures do not show the bunk over the driver seat but I do like the way they notch it out to help access the front seats... several other things I like about them... but if they loose value the way the bluebook shows??? no thanks..
good luck,,
John
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:54 AM   #4

The resale market for conversions is so screwed up, it makes so much sense to buy used. If you could pick that rig up at $112,000 you'd have a steel. The freaken truck alone is $72,000 and with 12,000 miles that truck has not even started to break in.

What is baffling me is why so many buyers are dumping out after just 1 or 2 years. I just wonder how many buyers are jumping in without realizing that these are Semi Trucks with a motorhome and not a luxury diesel pusher. They also have a longer wheel base and horrendous turning radius compared to pushers.

Anyway, love the floorplan it is similar to mine w/o the rear slide.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 AM   #5

Do any of the conversions like these hold their value according to blue book?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #6

......I believe this is a market where a price is what a person believes the unite is worth to them....which may be a steal or maybe a person will get bent over-major like. Having seen what some will pay for junk trailers and junkier motor/homes/coaches....I'd say that the margins are unreal!....better than stealing-because you don't need a gun and sneakers and don't have to run from the COPS.....If I were going into the conversion business I think I'd build exactly what the customer wants-exactly the way they want it....charge for materials at cost+shipping[pre-paid] and add to it only labor.....might be a better sales pitch if there were no mysteries about money/equipment and costs......I am supprised at a W/D for $1500....my cost is $700 on the dock...so $800 for hauling it to my shop and putting it in place and plugging it-yeah right! You might get away with that once in your whole lifetime with me...second your working for Wal-mart!...geofkaye
Old 07-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Warpath:
The resale market for conversions is so screwed up, it makes so much sense to buy used. If you could pick that rig up at $112,000 you'd have a steel. The freaken truck alone is $72,000 and with 12,000 miles that truck has not even started to break in.

I just wonder how many buyers are jumping in without realizing that these are Semi Trucks with a motorhome and not a luxury diesel pusher. They also have a longer wheel base and horrendous turning radius compared to pushers.
So if the truck cost $72, how much would you estimate the box cost?

And when you say that they are semi trucks with a motorhome and not luxury diesel pusher, what do you mean by this? Is this a good, bad...???

What do you think of the tv cabinet in the main room? Do you think it interferes with the forward view of any passengers that might be riding along...?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #8

Geof -

You have to remember there is a big difference between you and your back yard operation and a corporation which has to fund R&D, service, warranty, sales, marketing, manufacturing, along with making a little money on top of that. If you have the time, talent, and ambision to do it on your own you will always come out ahead. If you don't have any of the 3 than you better buy a manufacturerd unit other wise you will wish you did. Bottom line is that when you compare a conversion to a pusher of similar component spec, a conversion is about a third of the price. That is a bargain!

That Haulmark new probably sold for maybe 150,000 (I am guessing) To knock almost 40,000 out of it in a year that is a deal. Seems that the older rigs with slides seem to stabilize once they hit this price range. Considering that the chassis will last 1,000,000 miles and a few members here in Haulmarks like them and have no problems with them, it seems like a deal to me.

Semi vs. Pusher - Pusher quiet with engine in back, pusher are setup with IFS and 4 way independent air-ride, pushes don't loose space due to cab and front engine. These are usually the things ladies like and don't ya think the ladies have a big say in what goes on? Now if you have a wife like mine she digs the semi look, noise doesn't bother her, stiffer ride not a problem, and her major key is the safety factor of alot of steel and engine out front.

As far as the passengers go, if you do not have front facing seating than forget about them looking out the front of the cab. Try sitting sideways and looking forward, your neck will be sore in a minute. Plus with all the gizmo's on the dash, the captains chairs, and small cab access it is nearly impossible for them to see anything out front anyway. When we point things out to the kids they look out the side window (if it is on the drivers side) but mostly they watch movies anyway, there is only so much scenery kids like to look at anyway. If you have adult passengers that maybe a problem.