Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #1

Comments?

Found this one in the $26k area.

People are asking the seller a lot of questions. There must be a lot of interest on this conversion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-22-Pro-Conversion-D...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone have an idea of what the tractor portion length is?

What do you think of the floor plan where the bathroom is all the way to the rear rather than putting the beds all the way in the rear and the bathroom in the center?

I can think of one disadvantage and one advantage. If you want to use the bathroom, you must walk through the sleeping area disturbing those who are sleeping.

The advantage, if you get rear ended and are sleeping in the bedroom area, you get a few feet of cushioning before you get crunched.

Here is the text from the ad:

2003 22' Pro Conversion on a 1993 Freightliner FL 120 Chassis. The motorhome was constructed on a Steel Frame with a Aluminum Screwless Exterior. The Cat 365HP Engine with a 13 Speed Eaton Transmission. This unit holds 300 gallons of fuel total with 2-150 gallon tanks on both sides of the rig, she gets 12 miles to a gallon of diesel with the governer set at 75 MPH. It has 715,000 miles on the Chassis on 30,000 miles on the Conversion. I know that sounds like a lot of miles on the Chassis but, you MUST REMEMBER that chassis was built for 1,000,000 miles towing with a minium of 80,000 pounds behind her. The chassis has 6 brand new tires on Alcoa Aluminuim Rims, 15,000 pound rated hitch. The conversion holds 120 gallons of fresh water, 40 gallons of gray water, 40 gallons of black water and has a 8 gallon hot water heater. The dash air and front brakes need servicing. This unit sleeps 8 people with lot of amenties like 2 Roof Airs both with Heat Stripes, Refrigator gas or electric, stove, sink, 2 twin size beds located in the rear, also a rear bathroom with a vanity, toilet and over size shower. The bed over is cab is Queen size, with the table and couch folding out into 2 additional beds. Storage in the motorhome is quite extensive with plenty of inside storage along with a large amout of outside storage. This motorhome has a solid running engine she does not burn or leak any oil. She will out pull and out tow anything on the road today, including other semis. Even on very windy days or just passing other semis on the highway you will not be blown around, like you would in a Class A or Class C Motorhome. We are selling our precious baby because we are not racing anymore. The unit is titled and plated RV and you will need a Class B License because the unit is over 18,000 pounds. If you have any questions please call Ken (630)918-4544.

the rig weighs 25,000. gvw on door says 80,000 pounds for twin axle rear, 40,000 pounds single axle rear,this is a single rear axle so it can cary 15,000 pounds. hitch is custom 2 inch reciver 2 5-16th ball class 4 rated at 15,000 pounds. box is 22 foot cab is 11 foot total is 33 foot

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #2

Tractor portion length is 120" or 10'. What told me this is that the truck is a Freightliner FLD120. The number in the model name indicates BBC or bumper-to-back-of-cab measurement. You will also see FLD112's which are 8" shorter. These numbers do NOT include any sleeper that may be built onto the cab.
Does this help you?
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #3

Thanks Gary. Exactly what I was looking for.

With 1 hour remaining in the auction, it's at $28.5k and climbing. Looks like the bidders are active in the last hour.

The conversion is 22' plus 10' for the tractor portion = 32' approx.

Do you like this size or do you want something shorter?

A modern day tractor would be shorter in length, sloped/pinched nose, correcto? Does Freightliner still use the same numbers/measurements on their new tractors, ie Bumper-to-back-of-cab?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #4

I've been hovering around 18'-20' on the coach, and putting it on either a Freightliner FLD112, Century 112, or Volvo VNM or VNL610.
I just can't see having some outrageously long coach that would make the rig difficult to maneuver and park. Besides, we're CAMPING, fercryin'outloud! You do NOT need every luxury known to Man! To me, the rig should be as much fun to drive as it is to camp in.
About your modern day tractor question; Si! Correcto! And Freightliner for THE MOST PART still adheres to the numbering system.
OOOPS, the soapbox is gettin' creaky! Time to quit!
Gary
Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #5

Gary,

Do you want a rear bedroom or will people just sleep on the couch, diner, and overhead bunk?

Do you want an overhead bunk or do you want a condo tractor?

How about slideouts? Want one on each side? They are awfully nice to look at in pictures the way they open up the cabin area.

How about a washer and dryer and trash compactor? You're camping and want clean clothes and compacted trash correcto? And the on the fly satellite TV thing. You've got to have a high definition, wide screen, plasma, nuclear powered version so that everyone else can watch satellite TV while you're driving/working. Remember you're camping.

What do you think of Wicks machine? I don't know what the length of those couches in the cockpit area are but that setup looks nice.

You could hang a hammock type bunk inside the cockpit area towards the ceiling and sleep one or two up there.

BTW Gary, you need to take your creaky soapbox to Showhauler and have them outfit it with all the latest gizmos and gadgets.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #6

Auction is over. MrsMom came in and sniped it for $37k at the last moment. She was the first bidder at $25k, then $27k.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #7

Hey, BD, whatitis! I love it when someone asks me a laundry list of questions.
Rear bedroom- STARTING to think about it. The plan for the front is/was 2 center-facing sofas that could be made into beds, or 1 sofa and a traditional dinette. But the rear bedroom is starting to sound good, though at the expense of a looooonger coach.
NO overhead bunk- no matter what sort of truck is used; they always seem cramped- not my style.
NO slideouts- Nice when camping, a bitch to navigate around when on the road.
Clean clothes- Take a bunch. Dirty? Find a laudromat.
Trash compactor- Size 13 into existing can.
Entertainment- Flipdown screen w/ DVD player oughta snag it.
I LIKE Wick's idea! Then I would have a dinette and a couple of chairs and table on the front end of the coach.
NO freakin' hammocks! End of subject....
Yeah, ol' Lonnie would REALLY snazz up a soapbox!
HEY! NO preguntas mas? BIEN!
Take'er easy, 'Dog!
Gary
Old 09-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #8

Gary,

Here is a rarely seen picture of the interior of a NRC conversion with a slideout in the in position.

Slideout pictures are usually shown with them in the out position so you never know what they look like retracted.

If you took Wicks rig and put a removable table in the sleeper area, that area could be used as an eating, lounging and sleeping area.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #9

Hey BD-
You make some good points. One other reason to avoid slideouts is cost; they add a LOT to it. Plus they are just something else to maintain, along with a propane system, which I ALSO don't want. I have yet to hear of an electrical leak causing asphyxiation or an explosion, if it's a good wiring job. My motto: Keep it Simple, uh, Sam!
But I DO like the lounge-in-sleeper idea!
Gary