Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #1

2001 Newell 45'

2000 Bluebird 40'

2 newer bus conversions on ebay.

Comments?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #2

Both pretty nice looking rides. For my $300,000 [Newell] I think I could spend less of my money better on an HDT conversion and be perfectly happy. On the BB, it is a nice color scheme then I have seen any many Wanderlodges, they tend to have color schemes that are pretty bold for my tastes. I got a quarter that says neither one of them sells; any takers?

Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #3

The BB does have a nice paint job. Dark blue over silver...

What's the difference between a bus conversion like these two and the Motorhome that Warpath has now called the Winnebago Vectra shown here: http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...ctra/index.php

I see the BB and the Newell have 3 axles while the Winnie has only 2 so they have a greater GVW? but what are the other differences?

Comments?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #4

The main difference is in the construction- Both the Newell and Bluebird are a unibody, whereas the Winnie is body-on-frame, using either a Workhorse or Freightliner chassis. The bus-type units are built fairly stout, the Winnie not quite so, which is reflected in the price one pays for these rigs. Bill knew what he wanted, but the family didn't quite agree...........
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #5

Thanks Gary,

Unibody vs frame...unibody takes more time to build? advantage is that you get pass through underbody storage bays and a finer built frame...?

If the Winnie has this price on it's site:
"Base MSRP starting at $269,426*"

what would the base msrp be for the newells and bluebirds? any ideas on the top of your head?

who else makes premium grade bus conversions? are the prevosts, mci's, newells and bluebirds the bus conversions you generally see that were built as new or are there other companies turning out bus convesions?

who are the big 5 or 10 that make conversions for motorhomes?

MCI, Prevost, Eagle, Newell, Bluebird, Vanhool, Dina...?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #6

The Newell is not really a conversion. It is a motorhome from the manufacturer.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave B:
The Newell is not really a conversion. It is a motorhome from the manufacturer.
But unlike most motorhomes, uses bus-type (as in VERY stout)construction. But you are right; there is no such thing as a Newell "bus". They build a bus-type vehicle for motorhome use only.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote