View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
LVTradesman

Default Anyone running a 12v cummins?

Hey all. I've got a former F550 shuttle bus I'm thinking of doing a conversion on. Its a 2008 so its got the 6.4 powerstroke that's notoriously problematic. I've got a solid 12v 5.9 cummins sitting here waiting to go into something.

I'm curious if anyone has run this engine in an application like this and if so how much weight your going down the road with.

I'm confident in the engine itself, just doing some further research before I jump all in.

I've got a front axle for the truck to I can convert it to 4wd. The cummins I have also has a non electronic overdrive trans with the transfer case. I am also thinking of using the 5r110 thats factory in the bus with some conversion stuff from DCS.

Axle ratios I'm at are 4:88 currently.

I'm also not opposed to using a manual trans and a divorced transfer case if that makes the most sense.

I'm only looking to haul my jeep behind this thing, however the weight of the bus itself is exceptional to it will all add up quick.

In the end most of it's life will be spent over the road getting us from Michigan to the Arizona area a few times a year. I'm most concerned with exceptional highway drivability even if it's at the expense of a little slower acceleration to get there.

Image is attached of it sitting in the barn for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
RV in Barn.jpg  
LVTradesman is offline   Reply With Quote