View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #10
Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida panhandler View Post
Yep, I have to agree with LargeMarge. Are you overthinking this?

You are young with a young family. I understand your concerns with safety for the kids, but you have to also realize that they are a heck of a lot more flexible to situations than you and your missus are.

My first class A was a 31' Georgia Boy class A on a Dodge 440 (OK, we won't talk about the *#^@) Dodge). We had 4 teenagers and we all slept comfortably. Lord, were they designed so much better back then?

A U-Dinette in the rear slept three easily in their sleeping bags, with the youngest daughter taking over the cabover pull down. Wife and I slept on a very comfortable Flexsteel couch. We had two barrel chairs opposite with seat belts, couch had seat belts, cab had a single driver's seat and a double wide passenger seat with two belts that rotated to the coach.

We slooooooowly decided just what did we actually need. It was another 3-4 years before we stepped up. Then the kids graduated and we stepped back until we finally, in our elder years, got into a class A that satisfied our needs. The kids got their own RV's and we group up now and then. Just some thoughts for you to hash over.
appreciate ALL the responses, but I'll just quote this sentiment and try to answer it all.

The short answer is I'm just thinking about it, and I like to think about stuff because I'm an engineer. It will be at least a year, probably a little longer, until I actually start on a custom conversion. I don't think it will be a "forever" RV, but I want a plan that's scalable and modular so it keeps enough flexibility to adapt to our changing lifestyle/family. I expect that we'll spend a lot more time on the road as the kids get older, and if it works out like that we'll want a vehicle that's safer rolling down the highway, without compromising the way we use it.

I checked with registering a custom conversion in AZ, not difficult, but AZ registration is expensive. But to change an MDT to an RV it needs to be open between the cab and the house, and pass an inspection. If it's Class 6, I won't need a CDL or air brake endorsement. If I need a CDL, I can get an exemption 'endorsement' if I do the skills test in a vehicle without air brakes.

The idea is that if the time comes to buy a truck, I'll be an informed buyer and know a good deal when it's available.
Filthy is offline   Reply With Quote