View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
Roadside

Hi Man .... there is a mind twisting answer to all your questions. What I point out to people ..is... What do you want/ need in your puller unit and the the trailer unit ???? Consider how long your going to be away from utility, fuel/ and fuel type. power supply.. ect. Just to name a few. Where you would like to travel. Max length will keep in or out of some places. Then weight on both TC and trailer. Just as max high will do this also. SO...... everyone have different needs. This is what I came with.. not for everyone...but it works for me. for me... 98 Volvo 610 ( 9-10 ft cab after cut off.) aluminum box/ extended frame, 3 axel (248 in) 26 ft. box. total length around 36 ft. for the TC. High 43 in to top of frame , box 84 in high box, roof boxes, 12 in.( air conditioner) some place at about 11 ft 10 in. total high. May be height is not important... then 13 ft 6 in Where do want to go ?? Think about a trailer to match in height..?? How many axels ...?? I went with three.. Why.. never be over weight.. My gross is about 44,000 lb..(TC). Truck wants to go straight with two rear axels. When I lock the rear ends up from the dash....all eight tires drive. Even with chains on. Fuel mileage is average.8.5 mpg. with trailer (16,000 lb.), everything loaded. Now trailers...... Bumper pull. ALL of the average car / cargo trailers are made for week end use. Plywood floor / metal skin, that do a lot of flexing. I thought and bought a commercial 28 ft. Kentucky double drop box trailer,. 13 ft high. It cost me 3 to 4 miles a gallon, to pull it empty. Got rid if that, for a cheaper way to go. What ended up with is a aluminum / steal livestock trailer (4,000), enclosed. Three axel, 26 ft, 21,000 lb. gross. I won't over load the trailer, running around with 16,000 lb. in it. NO they are not on every corner for sale. The things that sold me on livestock trailers... Put a 2000 lb horse on rear corner of the week end trailers and see it flex. Not on a stock trailer. Go to cattle ranch or livestock sales yard, and take a look. Some of these have the crap beat out of them, and are still doing the job. I ordered mine to get it enclosed. So now you can carry car, boat, ATV, golf cart, BQ, chairs ect... all the toys you want to use when you are on the road. Now the total length can be a issue. My suggestion is to keep as short as possible. 65 ft is a good stopping place. Bigger TC and smaller trailer , just fine. Get to big on the wheel base on the TC...it gets to be a hand full to get into tight spots. And the paint job, to empress the neighbors, $10,000 to $25,000, if you don't get to carried away. Just things to think about. If you have a truck, paid for, that is read to convert. Extending the frame, living box, underbody boxes, hitch. roof air-conditions, interior layout (cabinets, pluming, doors, and windows, floor/ wall covering, ect), tanks, generator, solar panels. doing the work your self.... you could get by for $40,000 to $60,000. Now adding slides, marble counter tops, leveling device on chase could add a nether... $20,000 to $60,000. Like a said earlier. it all in what you want and need. I been on the road of and on for the last 20 years. Main , Florida, UP, Colorado, Utah, mid west, not much in south--south west and live in the Northwest, and have had a blast... Few brake downs.. all in part of traveling. Met a lot of nice people in the travels. There is a lot to see and do if you just got of the soft chair and move your back side. Now I will go back to my cave and be quiet. Best of luck Roadside
Roadside is offline   Reply With Quote