View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
xyobgyn

Default Update: Illinois Chicago Burbs

My experience has been slightly different than what’s been described above.

For people who own a conversion that already has a title saying it’s a motor home or RV, as described above (Dennis), no problem.

The interesting question is how Illinois handles your request for RV plates when you have a title that says truck only and GVWR is in the commercial ranges beyond standard D class for Illinois rules. (And caution on drivers license aspects)

DMV gave me form 625 ILCS 5/1 - 145.01, but would not process it based on my word (or photos) or examination on the spot.

It lays out the “need 4 of these 6” rules to get RV plates.
(My title doesn’t say Motor home or RV, it’s class H Truck)

I meet the 4 of 6 rules. Minimal modification to truck beyond installing HVAC, cabinets, stove, genset, fridge, pass through was performed. Ie no frame extension, axle chopping, suspension or chassis modification.

I called State Police as directed by the form and my local dmv to arrange inspection. They have said I must apply to change the title first, not just get RV plates after a simple inspection of theirs. I was directed by them to submit photos, a check, and a VSD 190 form to Springfield to run it through as a “specially constructed vehicle”

This is contrary to what my dmv plate reclassification form states, that ONLY if it’s materially altered does it need all that.

So currently, Illinois is sitting on my application with photos, a check and the two forms. I hope to get a response soon to schedule said examination with state police.

Incidentally, Illinois is one of the few states where a title and plates saying RV does not circumvent the need to have a driver license for the proper GVWR of the base vehicle.

In Illinois, an RV (or rental truck even) of less than 16,000 lb is ok on our standard class D driver license most people have. But if your RV has GVWR 16,001 to 25,999, then you need class C drivers license, non commercial. If you are 26001+, it’s B or A depending on what you want to tow.

This matters because in theory, if you rent an RV or own one that is over 16000 lb, you need to upgrade your license from standard one. It was a written test, and driving test for my class C, non CDL. And, I was not hassled about having brought my truck to DMV for the test on my standard D license.
xyobgyn is offline   Reply With Quote