View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
#90-GTSC

Everything that's been written is pretty much what I've been lead to believe about truck and bus tires over the last seven years.

While Michelin will warrant the tires for seven years, I know many many coach owners who will replace tires after five years. Like one of the poster's said ... the $800 from a tire failure is nothing compared to the "experience" and costs of a blown tire.

Based on what Michelin said (which certainly makes sense to me), the tire codes really don't mean much to "us" until its time to sell the truck/bus. If I put two year old tires on the unit and try to sell in four years, a naive, uneducated buyer won't accept that that the tires are still safe.

I think that how and were we store our trucks/buses makes a difference. Ours is outside in Wisconsin, partially shaded during the day. I'd love to have indoor storage, but that isn't in the cards right now. We just got back from a 100 day trip (WI to FL to TX/NM to WY back to WI), so lots of sun on the tires.

How many of us run a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)? I just had the most recent version of PressurePro installed. Tire pressure and temps. I think that is a good investment. A tire with a slow leak can at a minimum inconvenience you on a trip, worst case cause a disaster. An overheating bearing or dragging brake and set our units on fire.

Good thread, good discussion.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote