Thread: Mercedes LP 813
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #21
Proteus

Hi Jay,

the 12V pump is a "Shurflo" 4008 one, three pistons, I took a light one, 8 litres a minute (almost 2 gallons a minute), there are more powerful ones with more debit. T
hey are really silent, are thermically protected and have a pressostat which stops the pump when the top pressure is reached.

I bought that red tank, because the tiny plastic shitty expansion tanks available for RV cost more!

Now, once filled, this 20 litres tank allows to take a comfy shower, it either would work without any expansion tank at all, but the advantage of the solution I took is that the pump only runs two to three times a day. It runs longer, yes, of course.

Now, having been in the Navy for 33 years, I'm quite thighfisted in regards to water use, so my shower are "sea showers", open up to getting wet, close the tap to shampoo/soap myself, open the tap to rinse, clear. My wife follows the same procedure, the hell am I the boss in my truck or not, haha!

About the dry composting toilet, there are two solutions available, the ones you only poo-poo in, the others wher you poo and piss in.

For the moment, we both poo and piss in, and the best organic component we found to cover the feces is peat (turf) you may find in any gardening center. I tried sawdust and woodchips, you get odours, certainly with the chips, as the piss is not soaked up as it is with peat

the composting toilets with a separate urinal get filled at a lower rate, and the pee should normally go into a blackwater tank, so your problem won't be solved.

In the bucket (a big garbage can), we put a 100 litres heavy and thick plastic bag, and once filled with feces and peat, we just throw it into our composting plant at home and start all over.

It happens the bag fills faster, so we throw it in a camping trash can, with a second bag around it, to avoid stinky leaks. When your are in the middle of nowhere, if laws don't forbid it, you also may bury it into the vegetation, with no plastic bags then, you empty it, watch your nose, hehe!
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote