View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #112
ItalGerBrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
That's awful. I'm really surprised nobody could figure it out. Crazy. Do you know any truck drivers that could ride with you and coach? My son really helped me when I was trying to learn to float them. If you don't know any maybe you could stop at a truck shop and see if any drivers are stuck there for awhile and would take a ride with you for $20-30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetchracer View Post
Although mostly good things I hear about the auto/ultra shifts, this story scares me...lol. My 2003 Columbia has a two pedal 12 speed auto shift trans. It seems great. Lack of a clutch pedal is kinda hard to learn to back up, but not bad with some practice. I'm glad your moving in a good direction at least.
The problems I had are not that common relative to the many thousands of auto shifts on the road but when they occur, they are extremely difficult to correct because everything is just fine for several hours before all the crap starts again. In my case ~4 hours. I pulled all sorts of codes but one code can trigger several other codes so the codes are pretty much no help at all. The problem was heat related it seems. After the truck was allowed to cool down for an hour or so it was just fine. The autoshift worked just great when working and is light years easier to drive than the manual but my back was against the wall. You probably will never have any problems. Mine started acting up at about 105K miles on the trans and continued to get worse the previous owner told me. He traded the truck for that reason.
Appreciate the feedback from you guys. I hope that my experience might help someone else down the road. My advice would be to not spend much trying to repair the trans. 7K was spent on it by the dealer and I plus the previous owner spent at least that and nothing fixed it.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote