View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
Bob86ZZ4

I wouldn't do it. If it's a motorhome and your state doesn't require any special endorsements for motorhome operation then I would just leave it at that. Even if the cops might think you need something more, take that as an opportunity to educate them if you get stopped. If you were to get a CDL that might make the stopping cop think you needed it. And that might make him/her think you actually might be commercial. And that might make them look deeper to try to take enforcement action. Other BIG reason not to is that if you were to get a citation for something, anything, there is NO negotiation allowed by Federal law. Very hard to get a tag reduced or dismissed if you have a CDL. Even if the tag was issued to you while driving a regular old car. I know a guy very well that has a Class A CDL in MN. Endorsed for doubles, triples, and liquid too. He got a minor traffic tag while driving his car. Went to court and the prosecutor was more than happy to let him plea to something even less to keep it off his record. Until they spotted that he had a Class A CDL. Then the prosecutor told him nope, can't bargain with those. Federal law prohibits.