View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #21
neetchracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomland4x4 View Post
Where would you find the towing capacity for my renegade? I've heard 30k and I've heard 40k? I figure with the single rear axle it would be 30k?
I have a NRC GN toter and have not found anything concrete on towing capacity. Here's the way I look at it, you should be able to tow whatever your axle and tire ratings are as long as you follow federal bridge laws. The short story is, 20K max on the rear axle, probably 13880# on the front axle(axle ratings should be on the drivers door jam), plus whatever the trailer axles are rated for. The Bridge Formula gets a little more complicated, but what I said is the basic rule. The biggest thing that's irritating about federal laws is that a single drive axle can only carry 20K(34K for tandems).....even though my rear axle is rated for 22+K and I have 28+K capacity in the tires. A recreational motorhome will probably never get weighed, but a race rig might. I'm at 19500# on my rear axle before I add the second car(and have a plan to change that a bit if needed). My buddy with a motorhome style conversion is at 21500# with his tag stacker and two medium weight door cars. He has no good options though.

Your probably at a disadvantage using a GN trailer due to more tongue weight being engineered into a GN trailer than a TAG, on an already fairly heavy motorhome rear axle.
neetchracer is offline   Reply With Quote