View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #89
ItalGerBrit

Default Batteries crossed

After much head scratching and your comments, it looks like I have this figured out. The wiring was definitely crossed up at some point in time. The charger, which I will dump on your advice, is charging the chassis batteries, not the house batteries, so that explains the house lighting problem, weak slide motor, and other weird elec stuff like the erratic operation of the separate inverter for the TV and microwave connected to the house batteries.
I had a Xantrex inverter/charger in my previous Amer Tradition and it is a very expensive unit with several other voltage sensors and solenoids directing voltage back and forth between the house and chassis batteries. Solenoid contacts occasionally corroded here in the swamp humidity along with delicate multi-switches so, while it worked, it required frequent maintenance. Keeping this trucks electrical components simple is definitely the way to go.

Thanks guys for your help. Should be able to square this thing away now without much trouble. I strongly suspect that my initial weird auto shift problems were related to discharged and weak batteries when I initially picked up the truck. Since then, with charging the chassis batteries with shore power and the joining of both banks, though wrong, there has been enough juice to calm down the trans but make the house power crazy. What a mess! Will let you know how it all works after sorting it out and installing a better charger/converter as you suggested.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote