View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #12
petrel

I think I follow you. You are doubling the glides to get the extension that you want. What sort of cabinet or stand will you use from there?

I'm not sure if this is a cop out or an epiphany, but today I was contemplating just installing a MorRyde Freezer tray in the storage space, then placing a DeeZee tread plate tool box on it. I think I could then secure my propane cooktop to the top of the tool box, and store my propane grill and electric griddle inside. I could then cover the back of the flip down toolbox door with HDPE or Corian, so it could be used as a work surface or a place to set up either cooking device.

Although it will be a bit cobbled together, it may look cleaner than if I make my primitive attempt at engineering drawers or some sort of cabinetry. I am no woodworker. I may be less apt to set the aluminum on fire, plus I can't decide what sort of material would look the best.

The bays are carpeted, the cooktop is welded aluminum, and the grill is stainless, but I don't think a carpeted cook area would work. I'm afraid that oak or hickory cabinetry would look odd around all that fiberglass, black carpet, aluminum and stainless steel. I was even thinking about a welded steel framework with butcher block inserts, but I fear a bit of moisture in the storage bin would cause mold or mildew on the butcher block.

This solution is quite spendy, and not a great working height, but it may make for a clean installation. In addition, the "cooking unit" could be lifted out to free up the storage if necessary.

I am told that I will be able to get out and maybe take some measurements this weekend. I I will see how far off I am then. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your project with me.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote