View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #27
Egon

End of Week 3: Engine Work

Got a CHK ENG light on my way home, and I bought the truck with two other known failures (WHEEL SPIN and TRACTOR ABS FAIL) that needed to be remedied. Also felt low on power.

First shop (RV place) ran codes for 2 failed injectors and said they couldn't work on a 55 series. Pushed me over to Stewart Stevenson in ABQ. They gave me no estimate for labor and handed me a $6600 writeup for parts (6 new injectors, new pump...) I considered an engine swap to a reliable 60 series.

I then went to another shop (2nd to none service) out of town to get a second look. In that 45 minute drive the injectors must have become unclogged, because they re-ran codes and found only that I was getting my CHK ENG light for a missing Jake brake, which the current engine doesn't have. The original owners apparently swapped the 55 with another 55 somewhere along the way.

Low power was fixed with a new clamp to patch an air leak. Good as new for $200. Better than the 10k I thought it would be. Rest of errors listed above fixed for 1K total. Never been happier to spend a grand
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote