View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #9
Yotacrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I think you may run into conflict with ability to sleep 6 and stay under length limits. But look around, you might find one that can make it work. The problem with converting a dinette or even a couch, is they tend to be kind of short to really stretch out. So the main BR and the overhead bunk are both long enough, but the couch or dinette are not so good for adults.

I suppose you have already been looking on racingjunk.com, that seems to be the best place to see a lot of toterhomes for sale. Your budget is OK, you will be dealing more used and higher miles, but that does not mean used up. Remember that most of these truck conversion chassis are designed for 1 million miles as a class 8 truck. Engines may or may not go that far before some overhaul work; and there will be some chassis work needed during that 1M miles.

As to the engine and trans, I suspect you will have to decide if what you find will work for you and your use. Never heard anyone complain about too much power, but too little can be heard. If your 1-ton can handle the pin weight of your trailer, certainly a single rear axle will be sufficient, even given higher truck and RV portion weight.

I know this is a more complicated solution, but have you though about a longer MH that has a garage as part of the RV box portion? Then get a two-car tag trailer to replace your three-car gooseneck trailer. Once at your location, the vehicle in the garage stays outside and you can use the garage for sleeping area. Lot of toy haulers use fold-down bunks, you could do similar or just an air mattress.
I agree, I've started more research and looking into the overall max length allowed and most states seem to be 65'. With that length, i'm already pushing it with just my dually and trailer (currently 68' long). I've wondered about the dinette and if it would be tall enough for an adult and i'm glad that you brought that up. i will admit, I'm not against having air mattresses on the floor either. After all, we are going rock crawling so most of us are used to camping on the ground any how. haha That would just depend on if there was enough room on the floor for one in the walk way space. The overall length issue has me thinking about possibly getting a truck camper and setting that on the front deck of my gooseneck when i go on these trips. They are definitely smaller than what a toter would offer but with slides should be able to sleep 4. Which would work since I'd be down to only hauling 2 rigs on the trailer, roughly 4 people then. Also, in that situation, i wouldn't want more than 4 people since that's about all that would fit comfortably in my dually for long trips anyhow.

Yes, i have been looking and I've seen several. The down side besides the mileage and age, is that it seems as though no matter what, i'll have to travel a good distance to just look at the rig in person. i certainly don't trust a "used car salesman" and would want to know what i'm getting into ahead of time.

Thank you for the suggestion and i'll definitely look into that. But if i'm not mistaken, the issue with a toy hauler is that the garages usually aren't big enough to fit a truck inside it (they seem built/designed for side by sides and ATVs). I will admit, i'm just basing this off of the toy hauler travel trailers since i didn't realize that you can get a MH with one. If one would fit inside, that definitely would be a great idea since that would gain a lot more room for sleeping.

I welcome any and all ideas/feedback everyone may have on this.
Yotacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote