Thread: how thick
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #13
ChiefMechanicMark

Nice shelf ideas as well as lighting. There is a manufacturer called Magnum of LED strip lights. They are adhesive backed tape lights that come in different lengths and flexible with different wiring ends for water tight connections or just two blunt wires. I use them in firetruck compartments and have had no issues with them coming loose. I did use alcohol swabs to clean the mounting surface prior to installation.
As far as the original question on plate size, the plates for our ladder truck are 18" x 18" X 3/8" stainless steel. They're not very heavy and are stored in two pieces of 1/2" channel mounted under compartment at an angle so as to want to fall in (About 3/4" drop from outboard to inboard on channel.) and has a small clip to act as a safety to keep them from falling outboard. If I had to guess on weight I'd say less than 10lbs. each. There is a small u shaped handle welded at a small angle to make it easy to grab and pick up. We face the handle inboard to avoid trip hazard but that's just because our outriggers extend out 5' from side of truck. Obviously that would not be the case on these style jacks. I would think for the weight factor of a conversion versus Ladder Truck 12" X 12" X 1/4" stainless plates would be plenty.
ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote