Thread: how thick
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #10
bushpilot

Thanks!

I agree the bins are HUGE and w/out a shelf things just get piled on top of each other....and it would seem the thing you need 1st or the most is always on the bottom of the pile.

I THINK we actually GAINED storage with the shelfs - instead of having things heaped on top of each other, we now get some (visual separation) and get some storage "up top" via the shelf.

I built a shelf for the front & the rear most bins.
I painted the rear most shelf black so it wasn't so obvious....

the rear storage bin shelf is not full depth - by design. I have a grill that needs to be
tilted IN (over the front stiffening lip).

the rear shelf also allows me to mount broom sticks (adjustable and non adjustable) under the shelf - I use these broom sticks for washing the coach - attaching brush & squeegees etc.

I modified the lighting in all the storage bins - adding 15 inch LED STRIPS of (12v) lighting...the factor had one (dim) 12v incandescent bulb stuck in a corner.

notice the rear bin lighting provides full coverage across the entire width of the bin.

the FRONT storage bin is a little different (see picture below)....the shelf is FULL depth &
the LED light strip is applied ABOVE the shelf (to the front edge of the bin) and to the BOTTOM of the shelf to light the under side or storage area below the shelf.

The front bin, allows us to store (fold up) chairs, telescopic flag pole, or outdoor mat on the top shelf and in the lower portion I keep heavier items like our 36 lb, 15.5 foot Xtend & Climb Ladder

I also have a REMOVABLE center post (Its just friction fit) on the front shelf for when I get carried away piling to much stuff on the top shelf - the post add a bit of support and prevents sagging or bowing of the shelf under a heavy load.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote