Thread: New Guy
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
ChiefMechanicMark

You should be able to have your cruise speed set to maximum vehicle speed with a simple in dealer computer change. There would be a labor fee and possibly a surcharge for computer use but no interaction with recalibration fees should be involved. Old days we did these changes with a hand held "diagnostic reader" but now everything has gone to lap tops and smart phones so the dealer has to recoup some costs for these items so they put surcharges to cover the expense.
Years ago I had to program a Texas Heavy hauler with a road speed limit of 65 mph but he had rear end gears so high (2.something) I had to fool the computer as it wouldn't allow me to put in the actual numbers thinking it couldn't drive. I believe he was capable of 1200 RPM at 89 MPH. pretty sure he had to down shift to get over the cigarette butt on the road though. Never did hear how his idea came out. I did also install a transmission in a local trucker in Oregon that insisted on his choice which put him at 800 RPM at 65. He very rarely ever got into the top two gears in his transmission. After about 6 months we took the transmission out and put his original one back in.
ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote