View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #53
GUSS01

Ohio is pretty simple. You go to the title office and ask for a "body change affidavit". On this for is lists the 4 requirements. You must specify exactly what you have by checking each box. The items you check must be "permanently mounted.

1. Facilities for cold food storage:
Check box for ice box or refrigerator

2. Facilities for cooking food:
Check box for range top or oven

3. Facilities for consumption of food:
Table with seating

4. Facilities for sleeping:
Bed

then you pay the fee for a "duplicate title" with the body change. Now you have a titled recreational vehicle / motorhome. Your title will not say assembled or home made. Under the "body" description it will say "mh" for motorhome.

License plates just as easy. Take your new title to the bmv and get your motorhome plates. Mine were under $100.

Insurance was not difficult or expensive. Progressive was the easiest to deal with. However i have westfield insurance for my personal auto and home....they were not interested in insuring for anything other than liability due to the difficulty in accessing a correct value.

Avoiding trouble with dot / scales. I still go through certain scales in some states. I have been chased down several times. You have to know the laws better than the guy pulling you over. I also keep a copy of the cdl training manual and the fmcsa regulations in the truck so i can quickly access the rules that allow me to ude the truck as i do. My truck still has the commercial truck appearance. I found in several states they expected it to be worded differently....therefore i was sure to put a vinyl decals on each side in 2" tall letters that reads:

"registered recreational vehicle"
"private coach"
"not for hire"
GUSS01 is offline   Reply With Quote