View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
Thanks guys. Just the type advice I was looking for and thanks for the pic.

I will not be pulling a gooseneck or 5th wheel and only need a hitch for my two different trailers so no problem with license. Fairly sure that I do not need more than 32 foot box room wise and would like a shorter total length for easier
maneuverability. I have been busted in Texas for being over total length with my MH/trailer so the shorter length toter will help in that regard as well.
since I'm in Texas (NW Houston to be precise) - I'm curious to hear more about when / where & how you were busted for over length.

I'm 42 feet tip to tail plus hitch.
Add in a tow-bar & jeep wrangler I'm nearly 62 feet.
If I'm towing the 22 foot trailer I'm over 65 feet.

According to this chart I'm over length even with the jeep in 18 states
and in another 18 states (32 total) I'm over length with the 22 foot trailer.

Only 8 states permit anything over 65 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
So it looks as though you guys think that a twin screw might be overkill and added expense and maintenance for what I will be doing? I have always done the complete service and most of the repairs on my MH myself and have heard that these things are easier to work on. Any experience with that?
If i were pulling a heavy load (aka stacker), I'd want the added capacity of the 2nd axle...just for the margin of safety and the extra set of brakes.

Even at my (seemingly light weight) 36k lbs, i wish i had some extra braking capability.

If you can afford the 4 extra tires every 6 or so years i'd go for it....figure 500 bucks a tire thats only 333 dollars cost (per year) over a single axle....i burn more fuel than that per quarter back and forth to virginia etc.

another benefit - the extra set of tires means youre not completely dead where you are if you ever have a flat.

Maintenance is pretty low on our coaches - given that these are purpose built chassis that are designed to run 1M miles w/ only an in-frame needed around 750k miles....yeah stuff breaks...but these trucks can be serviced almost anywhere (including truck stops).

I do what i can on our coach - but so far thats been limited to (43 quart) oil / filter changes & fuel filters. I had a rear spring (bushing) go bad & to have the axle dropped & all the spring bushings replaced AND a full alignment done it only cost me 1000 bucks (i don't have the equipment to drop a class 8 tractor trailer drive axle).

We have close to 150k miles on our brake (shoes) and they might be approaching 50% wear....i think we (campers) do a lot more stop & go than most class 8 tractors.

our trucks are designed to haul 80k lbs.... and i rarely see my trans temp come off the peg at 125* (f) - even at 43k lbs....im not even beginning to stress our coach.

MOST pusher coaches (with their tiny 8-ish liter engines) leave the factory at or near their maximum GVWR...thats why a lot of the manufactures are using wider tires on the new coaches now....theyre maxed out from day 1!
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote