View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalGerBrit View Post
I am ready to move from a 42ft American Tradition MH(400HP) to a toter. Been dragging around a 20ft stacker with race car, spares, tools, tires etc weighing ~14K for 10 years and lately pulling a 8K Hummer on a utility trailer to and from the Mtns for offroading. Wore out the 300K rated dif at 110K miles. I definitely need a toter but know little about them.

QUOTE=ItalGerBrit;46261]
Questions: 1. approx HP needed
Man i almost bought an American, super nice coaches.

As for Horsepower.....get as much as you can afford...then borrow for what you need

Our MBE 4000 / DD13, 450HP (1650 tq) should be plenty. I know plenty who tow 30+ foot stackers with our engine/trans.

Our (single screw, 3.21 rear) and its 450hp (12.8L intercooler turbo) has no problem pulling a 11k lb trailer (topping us out around 43k lbs).

There are models available w/ up to 600+ horse (north of 1800 ft lbs).

I think you'll find w/ our smart shift virtual automatics (dry clutch, not a torque converter) the 12-13 forward (and 2 reverse) gears will serve you just fine....i can out run/out pull just about any pusher on any mountain grade w/ any load.

Quote:

2. Twin vs single screw
the nice thing about our twin screws is the on demand lockers (independent for each axle) and the ability to lock the axles together (ala 4 wheel drive or 8 tire drive).

the down side is cost of tires, and turning radius (since we can't life either drive axle).

you'd be hard pressed to exceed the GCWR capacity of a twin screw, but i think you may suffer some mpg too.

I have seen 10mpg towing 11k lbs (22', 2 axle car trailer).

Quote:
3. Approx reasonable buying vs asking prices(MH markups are huge and I know nothing about toter and Mtr coache markups. Do not want to insult anyone with unreasonable offers and I hate that offer/counter offer game). Prices are all over the place and it seems that there is no easy way to know how many miles are on the donor chassis/engine.I will get killed on the trade in on my MH because of it's age and mileage so at the risk of being tacky, approx $ am I looking at to get into a used toter? Will 90 to 130K get me into something reasonable for what I want to do?
its a buyers market.

I was close to the low end of your range 5 yrs ago when we bought our coach.
you should be able to buy a toter for the low end of your range (if not even lower). I would expect (depending on the condition) that you could buy a full on coach (42' or more) for the range you mention.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote