View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
bushpilot

From the Shenandoah National Park web site -

RVs, camping trailers, and horse trailers are welcome, but be prepared to shift into low gear. Also, be sure you will clear Marys Rock Tunnel (just south of Thornton Gap entrance from Route 211) at 12'8".

rt 33 isn't as bad as 211 bad but its steep and coming off the drive and down that mountain isn't gonna be fun (or relaxing) in a 30k lb coach.

211 f'get about it - you'll drag in those steep switchback turns, and you surely won't be making any friends on the skyline drive climbing the mountain from front royal and south....Skyline Drive just isnt made for high clearance vehicles.

even conventional Class C's & Travel Tralers are a PIA up there, the drive just isn't intended for 40+ foot vehicles & i don't thing the BRP is any better...the BRP is slightly more open but it doesnt have as many overlooks.

certainly I'm biased having grown up in the area but the Skyline Drive from FR to 211 & 33 is the best part - lots of overlooks on both sides.

when are you thinking about going? theyll be closing parts of the drive soon (weather/snow) and the leaves are probably just about gone (were headed to Front Royal later today).

Heres the section of the SKYLINE Drive that splits 211....it shouldn't even be a consideration.

33 is slightly better but I'm not sure id do it in the coach either.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote