View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #4
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
The wife and I would like to get on Skyline Drive in Front Royal, VA and finish up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Cherokee, NC. I wanted to see if any TC enthusiasts had traveled any parts of, or all of, these two roadways. It appears that there are some tunnel clearance issues if you don't ride down the center of the road in them. Anyone have any experiences with this?

If anyone has any big rig friendly campground/campsite recommendations along that path I would welcome that as well. Thanks!
DANG this site - why don't i get notices of new threads!

Petrel - I grew up in Front Royal. I don't think you should take the coach up the skyline drive - its too twisty, steep and i think you'll run into clearance issues (there is a tunnel that i don't believe you'll clear).

Id recommend driving i81 or Route 522/340 from front royal to luray etc.

I HIGHLY recommend staying at Andy Guest / Shenandoah River State Park - its just south of the Skyline Drive entrance and about 6 miles south of front royal.

the Park is REALLY nice, 30a & Water (sewer is via a dump tank/site in the park) - the showers and laundry facility are really nice some of the best I've ever encountered. The RV Slots are LARGE w/ big fire pit/rings and lots of area to sit outside your coach.

heres a couple of pictures of our coach/jeep in one of the slots at Andy Guest / Shenandoah river state park -

there are other campgrounds in the area - Luray (yogi bear) and I'm sure there are others that i can't give you hints on, if you like.

you DONT want to be anywhere near rt 33 or 29/211 (running east/west between i81 and the skyline drive around luray and harrisonburg)...theyre WAY too twisty to navigate
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote