Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #398
Kenn

Default top heavy

I have been enjoying the completed motorhome but at times it feels very top heavy. I looked at ways to control the rocking and found some motion control units built by SuperSteer. I bough and installed them with little change. I tried changing air pressure in the air spring with no improvement. I contacted Roadmaster in Vancouver Wa and asked if a anti-sway bar could be mounted to the Peterbilt frame. I talked to Wayne Wells and he said if I drove the motorhome up he would take a look. I drove to Roadmaster about two hours north and Wayne crawled under the rig and said they could build a bar and all the brackets. He recommended a 1 3/4" 4130 bar. We talked for a while and I explained that I wanted to do the fab work because I don't have the budget to just say call when it is done. Wayne was fine with me doing as much as I wanted. He dragged out a bar that was made for something else and said that if I built the brackets he could make a bar to fit. Wayne gave me some samples and drawings to take home and study. The next day I called and asked if I could just buy a bar like the one he showed me and he said sure and it will save big time. I drove back to Vancouver (in my pickup) and bought the bar, large bushing and some other pieces and headed to my steel supplier. Well after two weeks working under the rig and lots of time cutting, drilling and welding I am happy to say it rides much better.
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote