Thread: toad brakes?!
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #52
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Wow, thanks so much for all the information. She hopes to purchase an '08 Wrangler Unlimited "X" 4-door. I like the wiring harness option.
your X is the same as the current (and my) sport.

the good news - youre in luck, that Mopar harness part number 82211156AB works on the 2007+

you'll have a sightly unique issue w/ the (pre-2009) wranglers. pre-09's have a steering wheel (column) that locks.....those models have to have a key in the ignition (turned on) to keep the steering wheel unlocked (while towing).

You'll need to pull a fuse (its marked) to disable the ignition system (to prevent draining of the battery (because the key is on) while towing.

after mid 2009 Mopar removed the Wrangler Steering wheel locks (because they know so many folks tow them as toads).

read the owners manual, you'll want to keep the auto transmission or manual transmission gear box IN GEAR or PARK when towing....of course the Transfer case is placed in NEUTRAL while towing.

Quote:
It looks like I can remove the 1/4" male quick disconnect from their air line and replace it with a glad hand for the service side. Then rig up another glad hand with a plug to block the supply line. If I have a toad airline break, or a true break away, the TPV will take care of any leak down and maintain truck brake control.
couldn't you just run a dummy glad-hand shut-off on the unused side?

I think i have 2 extra if youre interested in them (cheap), you pay shipping.

I run these on both sides at the back of our coach to prevent any leak down at the trailer couplers....I've been known to use the trailer brake activation handle (when I'm lazy) to shut off the cruise control or give a little taillight / brake check to anyone who's following me a bit too close.

Quote:
Thanks again for your help.
Anytime!
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote