Thread: toad brakes?!
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #49
petrel

Out of the blue, my dw orders herself a used jeep through Carmax as a toad. Assuming the sale goes through, I am back in the toad business again! I've only got three weeks to get it rigged too.

After revisiting the topic, I am more confused than before. I've taken another hard look at SMI and M&G Air systems. After some back and forth, each agreed that I did not need any special rigging on my MH to attach their systems to a coach. This puts them at the top of my list.

A couple of things I still don't understand. Why install auxiliary lighting on the toad? Can't the existing lights just be wired up like trailer lights, maybe with some sort of disconnect from the toad's panel? Do most folks also use the charge circuit in the 7-pin to keep up the toad battery too?

I don't understand why the toad air brake manufacturers don't make a brake system that utilizes the truck air system better, allowing the trailer supply line to pressurize the toad system's break away pressure tank, so the system can just break away and respond to the drop in pressure like a semi-trailer does, rather than having an electronic break away switch? I know the toad doesn't have spring brakes, but the break away systems are supposed to use an air reservoir to engage the brakes.

Lastly, regarding base plates and towing bars, I contacted my two closest Blue Ox dealers. One marked up each component $100.00 over retail and then needs 5 hours at $115.00 per hour to install it. The other, just quoted retail price, but wanted 9 hours at $155.00 per hour. I'm thinking a little youtube and a lot of sweating and cursing and I'll get it done myself.

I must be really missing something. If you've got the time, please set me straight. Thanks
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote