View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 09:16 PM   #16
Bob86ZZ4

Here's an "upgrade" I made. I wired in a cable with a headphone jack on it to the stereo in my overhead console up front. I actually wired in two double pole single throw switches to the right/left speaker wires coming out of the stereo. There are only two speakers in the overhead console so those are wired up to one of the switches. I put a pair of small bookshelf type speakers in the living room and hooked those up to the other switch. I wired that cable with the female headphone jack directly to the speaker wires before the switches. So, I can use the cockpit stereo to listen to in the living room or the cockpit, or both. I wanted to be able to listen to music while boondocking and not have to use the inverter and the big system. Now the big part. I have a pair of headphones hanging on the dash. My cockpit is pretty loud rolling down the road. I often like to listen to talk radio. Most other people don't like to have me cranking up that talk stuff. So, I put the headphones on and switch off both sets of speakers. I know it's illegal in most states to listen to music through both ears on headphones. Well, I don't do this when in the city. And when I'm out on the open road I'm always hanging in the right lane. I'm quite sure I wouldn't hear a siren any sooner with or without the headphones on. The headphones just allow me to listen to my talk radio at a much lower level and be able to hear it.