Thread: "fog" lights
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
samcrimm

Hey Duff,

I think i have the the shielding in place for the low beams here is a picture for you. tryed to rotate it.....oh well.....

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Thanks Bob! From a distance, they look like they're similar in size to the gen-1 Volvos--I'm working on a kit for those now. With any luck, there might be some shared parts.

Sam--Please don't do this. HID "bulbs" that share a halogen bulb base aren't legal for sale in the US, and for good reason. The light manufacturer (Grote for the Coronado lights) designs for a specific filament location and light output. A Xenon capsule isn't the same shape or location as the filament, and can't reproduce the proper light distribution. It may seem brighter, but it's going to give you increased foreground lighting and glare toward other drivers, which are both dangerous. If you look at any HID system with reflector optics, you'll notice that the bulb is shielded and isn't directly exposed to someone standing in front of the truck--that won't be the case with your conversion. Looking directly at the light will be blinding, especially at close range.

Working on it!! I can't tell you the number of RVers that have commented that they like the light upgrades, but just don't drive at night. One in particular, who's very active in the HDT crowd on the Escapees forum at at the national rally, was in this boat until having to make a trip cross-country to deal with a family emergency. Especially when you're already pushing it, you don't want to be struggling to see. I've actually found that with good lights and the big rig, I tend to prefer night driving--less traffic (especially passenger cars), and fuel stops are less crowded. Especially when stopping for propane (e.g. at Flying J), it's far easier to do it at night--there are a number of them where I'd be in the way to reach my tank, but it's not a big deal at 1am.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160520_095912.jpg  
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote