View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #123
Bob86ZZ4

I agree with 38Chevy454. I'm not trying to get anybody to make the switch. I actually had very good service from my Norcold unit. The biggest concern I had was fire. My fridge was 6 years old when I got the rig. And 10 years old when the ARP controller became widely available. I've read a bit about them and don't believe they eliminate the possibility of fires. Especially in an older fridge that may already have damage to the fluids/piping. I had a Norcold in my Allegro. It started leaking and luckily I smelled ammonia and shut it off, no fire. My son and I were working on his camper and the fridge caught fire so we got it out with the extinguisher before it burned anything besides the fridge. I just decided that 13 years old was as far as I wanted to push the Norcold in my rig. I had wrestled with the question of switching to residential or not. And I did wrestle with it for quite some time. I really liked the propane fridge for all the stated reasons. But, I also like a few aspects of the residential ones. Going from 8 cubic foot to 11.5 in the same opening is huge. It's very noticeable inside. We've taken two trips so far with the new fridge. Over 2500 miles. It's been flawless. I have no problem investing in more amps. I always thought my 2 house batteries were a little on the small side anyhow. And doing this project got me to change them out for the golf cart batteries. And it also got me to figure out how to add 4 more without any loss of current storage space. So that's a win too. Most of the newer rigs have 6 house batteries, or some equivalent, don't they? I support all the people with gas fridges and agree that they are great. But, I think this is going to work out for me and my food needs too.

I just got home from the steel supply. Got 20' of 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/16" angle. Tomorrow I'll start cutting and welding and fabbing up a rack to mount the extra batteries.