View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #115
38Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
38Chevy454, what are you doing to power yours? I only get about 6-8 hrs. run time on my two golf cart 6 volt batteries. Then it doesn't seem to have enough juice to start the compressor. If I switch the battery switch to add in my 3 truck batteries it will kick on the compressor and run the fridge. I don't know how long since I don't want to run down my truck batteries and not be able to get it started. I have a good area between the frame rails at the back where I think I can mount 4 more 6 volt batteries. I've bought two and will fabricate the rack to mount those two first. Should be pretty easy to add two batteries first and wire into the system. Then I might add two more. I want to fabricate the mounting system for 2 batteries at a time. I'll try running the system with the 4 batteries and see how that goes. If it'll run for a couple days maybe I won't bother with another pair. We'll see. Curious what 38Chevy is using for batteries since your fridge is bigger than mine (theoretically it should need more battery power to run?).
Sorry for delay, been off the computer for a little. I have three 12v batteries, hooked to a 1000w inverter. My batteries are 2 large (group 27??) and one regular group 24 size. I added the 24 size with the inverter install. I don't actually know the amp-hour ratings of them off top of my head and I am at work now. While I did test the inverter for about 1 hour and the frig works, I have not actually boondocked yet to actually give it a test. I have not even gone on a trip yet this year. My understanding is the Samsung works different than the others. It has what they call digital compressor and it does not cycle. Instead the compressor ramps up and down as cooling needs change. So it does not have the high start-up current, and also has a lower avg amp usage; of course a std compressor has higher avg when on and then zero when off. So a direct avg is not really valid. I have read the Samsung uses between 0.5-3.0 amps. It even has LED lighting inside to minimize power when door is open.

Back to the battery discussion, several others have offered input since your question to me, and I tend to agree that the 6v are better. I think you just need more capacity. Although I have no plans to go this route, you could make considerable battery improvement by adding some solar to recharge. I figure when boondocking, there is good chance I will want some A/C, so I plan to just let the generator recharge my batteries.