View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #77
Bob86ZZ4

I think you guys are correct. I did some testing yesterday. With my 55 amp Iota converter/charger turned on the inverter runs the fridge just fine. When I shut off the Iota the fridge won't start. I think my batteries are several years old. I only have two 12 volt group 24 batteries. I do have 3 chassis batteries, the big huge truck kind. The truck batteries are connected back to the chassis batteries but I'm not sure what size wire was used for that. And, it's about 26' from the truck batteries to the house batteries. There is a switch to tie all 5 together. Even with all 5 the inverter doesn't want to start the fridge up. Yet when I turn on the Iota it will work. I'm pretty sure my truck batteries are good because the engine cranks over real fast. I don't like to use the truck batteries for household needs because I don't want to risk running them down and not being able to start the motor (or generator, which starts via the truck batteries). When I watch the display on the inverter it shows mid 12 volts yet it still won't start the fridge. When I turn on the Iota the inverter display shows about 13.4 to 13.6. Seems like mid 12 volts should still start the fridge. But if the batteries are weak could they still be at that voltage but not have enough amps to kick on the fridge compressor? The inverter does run the lights in the fridge but won't start the compressor. I ran the fridge until it was cold enough to shut off the compressor and then switch off the Iota. And then open the doors on the fridge to let it warm up and call for cold and the inverter will beep and the compressor won't start up. I had to shut off power to the fridge and then turn on the Iota and power up the inverter and it would kick on the compressor right away. I wired the inverter with 1 gauge welder cable. It's about 7' of wire from the battery compartment up to the inverter. I can pull the batteries and take them to my battery guy and have him put a load test on them. But, I'm thinking I should take them out and install 2 golf cart type 6 volt batteries in their place. Wired in series of coarse. Pretty sure I can fit them in where the 12 volt ones come out. I've always thought that might be a better way to go anyway for all the other house 12 volt needs. It also looks like there is room along my frame back there to mount a truck type battery box and put a couple more 6 volt batteries there and add to the system. Any thoughts from you guys about all this? Thanks!!