View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #70
samcrimm

I put the meter on the two sets of batteries and with the engine running and nope not connected. Sounds like I need the relay.

Thanks for the input

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
Sam, i would be surprised if your house batts aren't charged when the engine is running.

Our house batteries get charged by the engine alternator when the engine is running.

When the generator is running, it also charges the batteries (via the converter/charger).

the generator does (usually) rely on the house batteries to start, once the generator is running the AC powered Converter/Charger will recover/maintain the house batteries (but not, usually, the engine batteries).

put a meter on the house batteries (when you're disconnected from shore power) - whats the voltage? then start the coach engine & check the house battery voltage.

if you don't see an increase (charge) voltage on the house batteries with the engine running you may want to consider adding a simple and inexpensive battery isolation relay between the engine batteries and the house batteries.

the battery isolation relay will "combine" allow (charge) voltage to flow to the house batteries when the engine alternator is outputting. When the engine is not running (and there is no charge output from the engine alternator) the Isolation Relay will electrically isolate or separate the house batteries from the engine batteries.
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote