View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #66
Bob86ZZ4

Sam, my house batteries (2 12 volt deep cycle, I think like group 27 or something?) are in the storage bay directly underneath that night stand where I mounted the inverter. I didn't want to mount the inverter in that storage bay, I wanted it inside where it would be protected from the elements and I could see it and operate it easily. I had thought I had used 8' cable to connect it. But I just looked and in fact the cables are 6'. So, that's pretty close I'd say. My truck chassis batteries are way up front on the left side, just behind the back wall of the cab. I'd guess 25' since my living quarters are 26'. There are three of those huge truck batteries there. They do have a large cable running from there back to the battery bay. And I have a large round switch that I can set to provide house 12 volts via the front batteries, the house batteries, or all 5. Generally when I'm rolling down the road I have all 5 tied together so the engine charges them all up. Then when I'm camping I usually switch to just use the house batteries. That way I don't run the chassis batts down and can't start the motor. The chassis batts also start the generator on my rig. I often shut the breaker off that powers the Iota charger/converter in my house battery bay. I like to do that to give those batteries some exercise. It's real easy from inside to do that. Then when I notice the lights seem a bit dim I just switch that breaker back on to charge it all up. Works pretty good I think.