View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Megatruck99

Default New to the truck conversion world.

I'm new to this forum and to the truck conversion world. I've been looking at totterhomes for a couple yrs now. I pull a goose neck trailer with a 2500 Chevy truck to mud events and quite a few car show on a regular basis. I have felt for the last year or so that it's time to upgrade to a larger tow truck. We camp just about everywhere we go with a pop up camper. We also drag our RZR and ranger everywhere. Typically that's three trucks and three trailers. A lot of stuff to be hauling down the interstate, not to mention the amount of fuel I've spent doing so. To streamline our caravan I've decided to build a totterhome my self. I have just purchased a 98 international 4700 with a Dt466 in front of an Alison automatic trans. It currently has a 27ft box on the back. After looking at it and throwing a tape measure around it I believe I want to convert it into a 14ft box with a bunk over the cab. Now to the questions. Does it make more sense to use the existing box ( it is a Morgan built box with composite walls) or frame and build one from scratch? If building one from scratch, what would the materials of choice be. 2x2" 14g box tubing with aluminum walls????? What should the wall thickness be? What is the average height of the interior? Is there somewhere on the forum that maybe someone did a layout on demensions with a material list?
Megatruck99 is offline   Reply With Quote