Thread: toad brakes?!
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #22
38Chevy454

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Just learned that although my F350 will tow four down with no driveline disconnect, it has a towing speed restriction of 55mph!
On my Ford Edge awd that I tow four down, Ford says 65 max and supposed to run the engine every 4 hours. Well, I certainly go faster than 65 and no problems (shit, now I just jinxed myself ). I do run the engine first thing in the morning before leaving for about 5-10 minutes, and when I stop and it's convenient, sometimes around the 4 hour mark. Plus run it at end of the day, even if no disconnect. I figure that running through R-N-D and then back to N helps circulate the fluid. Have done 800+ miles in a day.

In your case, the only thing you have moving around is the transfer case (assume your F-350 is 4x4?), which tend to be self-lubricating. Which is why most 4x4 can be towed four down easily. Manual trans are dependent on trans design. Generally in neutral the output shaft does not turn the countershaft, which does the lube slinging. The input shaft does turn the countershaft, so it lubes when engine is running. Some trans will sling enough lube with the output shaft turning and not the input shaft, such as when towing. The differentials and driveshaft don't have issues, they lube themselves. It is good to unlock front hubs if you can, no need to turn the extra front driveshaft and axle parts.

Oh yeah, I use a jump starter pack to hook up the brake system, rather than the car's battery.