View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #14
volvoman

on a manual transmission main shaft in transmission will spin when vehicle is moved with driveshaft and axles in. counter shaft in bottom of transmission is not turning when transmission is not in gear so oil wont splash up to lube main shaft. so gears on main shaft will seize up. you can leave engine running and input shaft will turn counter shaft and keep lubed. you have to worry about engine dying or any thing else going wrong.
i had a engine running once and the drivers lunch box knocked gear shift lever into gear. i was lucky and when i stopped i felt a jerk and engine died. i knew enough to go back and check rite away. just put it back into neutral and restarted engine.
automatics rely on lube for clutches. never tow with out pulling driveshaft or axle.
volvo i shift they say you have to pull all 4 axles. i think axles interlock some how.
we try to just lift front end enough so tires wont touch when going over bumps. when we get to driveways or steep angles we raise or lower as needed. we have controls in side cab and a camera on rear of wrecker so we can watch.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote