View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #14
bushpilot

only 300amps total in batteries ? how many and what kind do you have?

less than 1/2 a day run time imo isnt acceptable for the way we travel (dry camping at race tracks).

After reading this install article in MotorHome Magazine I installed the Smart RV Products fridge -fix (blows air over the cooling fins inside the fridge). The system works really well.

We were in 100+ degree temps for over 5 weeks this past summer & we never had any cooling (or icing) problems with our fridge and we were constantly switching between 120VAC & propane.

The Fridge-Fix system works MUCH better than the fan solution from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse....which i gave away to a friend.

Both systems made a huge difference in cooling the fridge down (when switched on) and both reduce icing but i still had icing with the RV Cooling Unit Warehouse system.

With out one of these cooling fan systems i would say that a residential fridge has the advantage of NOT icing or needing defrosting.....BUT i also have a residential fridge in my garage (for beer) and in the summer it struggles to maintain 43 degrees so i would say there is no real guarantee that a residential unit will keep things really cool in the summer.

If we were full timers i could see the residential fridge advantage just because of the interior size (and anti-frosting)
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote