View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Bob86ZZ4

Default Converting to residential fridge

So my rig is an '03 and I'm pretty sure the Norcold 841 propane is original. I'm figuring it's not going to last much longer. I'm also kind of afraid of fire when it does fail. I decided to switch over to a residential (120 volt) fridge. I bought a Frigidaire FFTR1222QB. It's almost the same exterior dimensions as the Norcold. The Norcold is 8 cu. ft. The Frigidaire is 11.5. I found posts on other sites from people using this fridge with a power inverter and they were very happy. I don't presently have an inverter in my rig. I only have two deep cycle batteries for house 12 volt now. I decided to get an inverter just to run the fridge. I know a lot of people use a big inverter so they can run other 120v items. I wanted to keep my costs to a minimum. Not only the cost of the inverter, but the wiring also adds to the cost. Reports are that this particular fridge uses very low wattage. I bought a Xantrex Prowatt SW600 inverter. This is a pure sine wave unit. Less expensive inverters use modified sine wave. Some people say you shouldn't run a fridge on a msw inverter. I also bought the wire kit, fuse holder, and a automatic transfer switch. I got all this from Power Inverters | DonRowe.com. Pretty happy with their selection and cost.

I've gotta run now so I'll update in a bit.