View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
cqrmskt

Default FL70 walkthrough conversion possible?

I have a Freighliner FL-70 and want to cut a hole in the cab and the box to make a pass through walkway. I took the truck to 2 mechanics to get a quote for doing this, one of them told me that I can't cut the back of the cab really wide like this photo unless I put in supports:

(From this thread)

He said if I didn't want to put in supports, it would have to be something like this:

(From this thread)

I don't think he does this sort of work normally though. Attached are some photos of my truck--can you guys give me your opinion of whether I can open the back wide, or if I need to make it small? (I would be replacing the bench seat with a bucket seat.)

As an alternative, I was considering cutting a walkthrough not in the middle of the cab but behind the passenger side, partially because then I would only have to cut out one whole window and not both or a bit of each. I would replace the bench seat with a bucket seat but placed in the middle because cuddling the driver is easier with a middle seat Is this doable?

I have been looking to find information on how to do this, but it's been difficult to find DIY instructions for this application, I can only find them for pickup trucks. So here is a wall of questions that I have.
  • What kind of saw(s) do I use? The box has FRP walls with some kind of metal on the bottom part of the wall on the interior (see IMG_6266).
  • Do I have to prep the edges with anything after sawing?
  • Since the wall of the box is 5/8" thick (and idk how thick the cabin wall would be), I'm going to have to attach a flat bar or something to make a flange for the boot--does this bar go on the exterior or interior? If it goes on the interior, what sealant do I use to make sure water doesn't get into the plywood of the FRP walls and the cab walls?
  • According to accordionboot.com I don't need a sealant. In your experience, is it air/weather tight without a sealant?
  • IMG_6268 is a photo of the back of the cab from the passenger side, under the box. Is there anything special I need to consider with this?

Any info would be great. This is my first time doing anything like this and I want to make sure I do a good job. Thank you!! ^_^
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6266.jpg   IMG_6268.jpg   IMG_6271.jpg   IMG_6272.jpg   IMG_6267.jpg  

cqrmskt is offline   Reply With Quote