View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #95
38Chevy454

Just got back couple days ago from a Albuquerque to Cincinnati and back trip for Thanksgiving. About 3100 miles total, 10 days, but really about 6 of them driving. Did 550-630 miles many of the driving days. Stayed in truck stops when not at relatives/friends. Towed my wife's Ford Edge behind there and back. Took 3 large dogs with us, they road trip great. Lot of cold weather, most nights were near freezing or below. Some day temps were also not much above 40 when driving.

Drove around 72 mph, when not in traffic back-ups, got 7 mpg including running generator in evenings and little in morning before hitting the road again. Worse part was had 2 full days of heavy rain on return trip, from Louisville to Amarillo. Fortunately my schedule was one day after all that bad ice conditions in OK and TX. Drove through day after and there were areas with 1 inch of ice on everything! However the roads were just wet and no ice, so no real issues getting through. Just the whole lot of rain, like approx 1000 miles worth. T/C is really dirty, thanks to all the rain driving. Got home and winterized quick, still need to clean it up sometime.

Funny part of the trip, at my brother-in-law's place in Cincinnati, I caught his cable TV line on top of my T/C and pulled it off the house accidentally. Stayed connected, just broke the clip holding it on house near roof where it came over from power pole.