View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
MileHiGuy

Default New Build Questions

Hello - Been lurking on the forums for a while but after our history with 7 previous pusher coaches we are ready to try the HDT truck based MH's out and have some questions. We currently have an enclosed car hauler but when retirement gets a little closer a 26-28' stacker will be the plan.

We have toured the major manufactures in Elkhart there are certainly pro's and con's to how the big players build but our preference would be to build a Renegade Classic with 3-slides, Aero front cap with a walk in cab.

Truck wise we are working with an independent Freightliner Dealer. Looking at the Cummins ISX as the Detroit changes how the exhaust is routed causing a loss in one storage box.

I would like input on spec'ing a motor with the Eaton Ultrashift Plus 13 speed versus an Allison 4000 six speed. All my previous coach experience has been with an Allison but have never had a coach with more than 1250'lbs of tq. Gear splits might be a little wide for our 7% 10,000' grades we have here in Colorado.

I am fearful I will be disappointed with the rate of which these autoshifts accelerate from a stop or pulling into traffic where as the Allison are not too horrible - not that city driving is the primary concern.

One nice attributes to the Autoshift is that the motor can be spec'd with 2050'lbs Tq versus 1850 limit for the Allison which could be an asset with the big hills.

Is there an appreciable advantage in mileage with an Autoshift?

As a side note I have looked into options for building a Cascadia Glider with an older version motor but generally these are only built with manuals plus other obstacles.

Thanks for any advice, these certainly are big financial commitments. We have been extensively looking for a used coach (Racing Junk) but finding one set up for sub zero operation with a floor plan we desire has been challenging.
MileHiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote