Thread: New Guy
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #7
bushpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane95 View Post
Hello 454,

I'm having issues loading pics here. I'm on my phone and it won't let me access my picture gallery, but I will try and get some later from the home computer.

Mine has the Cat 3116, turned up close to 300hp with an Eaton - Fuller 13 speed. Single axle rear. Nothing too big or fancy, just comfortable and functional.

Do any of you have any recommendations on a 120 volt electric water heater by chance? Mine is all electric and has no LP on board. I do have a 5500w Onan, as well as shore power though.
WELCOME!

Pictures:

For posting pictures or imbedding them in your posts/threads - its easier to use a (free) photobucket account. Upload your photos to photobucket & then use the links that photobucket provides to embed your pictures in your post/threads.

Water Heater:

Whats wrong with the water heater you have now? What brand is it? Why change?

Do you have an RV or Residential water heater in your T/C coach now?

Theres really only 2 mfg's for RV water heaters (suburban or atwood) and both manufacture electric (only) or electric & propane gas units. Both manufactures are also manufacturing (gas) on-demand water heaters now too.

Both manufactures offer 6, 10 & 12 gallon tank capacity units.

Of course there are also hydronic (diesel / electric) on-demand water heaters too - but they can be a bit more complicated since they can provide radiant/baseboard heat & engine pre-heat capability. Hydronic Heaters can be pretty large (requiring part or all of a basement bay space for installation).

I just replaced my 10 yr old suburban gas/electric (10 gal) unit (had a pin hole / leak) - the previous owner apparently neglected conventional maintenance (draining, flushing & frequent changes of the anode rod).

Changing the unit out wasn't terribly difficult (i did it myself). I considered upgrading to the 12gal (2 inches deeper) unit - but the added capacity really isn't necessary and space was so tight i would have had to re-plumb.

our 10g unit provides plenty of hot water for multiple (back to back) "boat showers" (wet, turn water off, soap, turn water on/rinse)....in fact it worked well even when my wife & i traveled with our THREE teenagers.

I generally run the heater on gas or pre-heat the water (before we leave on a trip) while parked in our storage unit - sometimes i leave it on, but generally try to turn it off while driving - the 10 gal tank keeps the water warm for many hours.

if we have shorepower we'll run the water heater on electric - and if we need faster recovery / heat we can run both the electric element & gas heat, but we've NEVER found that to be necessary.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote